TA2022 vs 7498E digital T-amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm in the hunt for a new T-amp. I currently own the TA2020 from Indeed labs (purchased through eBay), and I must say I've been thoroughly impressed with it.

I've come into a set of very nice bookshelf speakers and I'm looking to upgrade my T-amp to one with some more power...I'm looking for a similar great sound, but just some more output at low distortion.

I've considered the Topping TP-60 (and clones) based on the tripath TA2022 chip and I've also come across a new amp based on the new 7498E chip.

New 2014 Indeed Class D TDA7498E 160WX2 Stereo Amplifier Silver 36V5A Adapter | eBay

I have not seen very many reviews of the new TDA7498E chip, but there seem to be a few implementations of it (SMSL SA-98E, Lepai LP7498E, Indeed TDA7498E), of which, the indeed has me the most interested.

Basically, I'm looking for subjective comparisons/opinions between the TA2022 tripath based T-amps and the new 7498E's based ones in terms of sound signature and output/clarity (THD).

Any input would be greatly apprecaited.

P.S. - I should mentioned that I have already ordered the Indeed version and expect it by the end of this month :D

I listened to this amp yesterday. Sounds very open with tight (subjectively less?) bass compared to a 2021. 2021 sounded (in direct comparison) somewhat muddy.

I ordered one.

Have fun with it. I will...

Ulf

Thank you for that comparison, it is quite encouraging to know that this new amp sounds as good (if not better) as the 2021 tripath amp.

Keep in mind, however, that I've seen a few comments recommending a 24-48hr burn in on the TDA7498E chip to smooth out some initial harshness.

I bought one of the SMSL SA-98E units as part of my ongoing attempt to find a good cheap class-D amp for biamping my entire surround system. I need 14 channels, so I'm cost sensitive but I don't want to compromise quality.

I'll offer the following viewpoint: The device is aesthetically pleasing. There's a lovely soft blue glow behind the volume knob and the green/red power led is small and unobtrusive (unlike some other units that light up the whole room). It's small, all-aluminium and well assembled. It runs cool, too, even with its tiny heatsink that's not thermally coupled to the case.

Unfortunately, the audio performance doesn't match the beauty of the box. Right from the outset, it immediately sounded "wrong". Attached is a frequency response plot from REW. There's terrible high frequency roll-off and it's quite audible. I found significant harmonic content too. There's also a fair bit of hiss... much worse than the TAS5630b, which is my current high power class-d benchmark. Maybe it's something simple like an overly-aggressive LPF or something. But I haven't checked... I didn't bother evaluating it much further and the SA-98E's been relegated to an engineering test box in my bin of audio electronics.

smsl_sa98e_freq_response.png

power supply

I recently bought 2 SMSL SA98e with the same power supply (also with alu 'shielding'...)

The power supply that comes with these kind of modules is not designed very well. (alu for shielding instead of steal). I bought 2 smsl sa98e and replaced the power supplies with 2 of these : MW RSP-200-36 nur 43,60 €: Schaltnetzteil, PFC, 200W, 36V - 5,5A bei reichelt elektronik

Just try the following; connect something to the amps (when there is nothing connected it will detect that and will switch off) eg a Tablet. Don't play anything on the tablet and turn the volume knob on the amp to max. You will hear a 'not so nice and not acceptable humm/noise' all over the frequencies.

Bottom line.. they advertize by saying that the modules are built up with parts from Japan/Germany and so on... the power supply comes from China and screws the whole audio quality up.

Hi Doc, Thanks for the reply. I tried several things... different input devices, different cables, different power supplies...and after exchanging the default power supply all the noise was gone for all configurations. The Tablet config was just for test :) and also at minimal volume on the tablet and volume rotary to max, the noise was there. It almost tried to compete with the fridge..!

Current config; the amps are powered with the MeanWell power supplies. Audio-in connected via 25meter CAT6 over 2 MadNat Baluns (MadNat Quad Audio Balun) and connected to the pre-amp out on my Pioneer AVR to drive the 4 surround speakers... with no noise!

PSU

So basically you are saying that the amp might not be robust enough against 'dirty' power? Not so nice that they sell the Amp + PSU together. One would expect that they have tested the combination.

Anyway.. with the MeanWell PSU it works well.
Cannot try the 10n solution any longer.. but would be happy to hear what others have done to solve this issue.

And with this PSU the amp also worked fine (no noise):
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Sino-American-AC-Adapter-A42455G-Class-2-Transformer-24V-0-55A-13-2VA-/141367096711
but is a totally under powered.

It was the PopPulse T180

Thanks for the reply. What did you get instead? I am desperately looking to buy a TA2022 based amp (bridged chip) because my TP60 (again TA2022 based amp) although sounds very good (especially vocals/midrange) cannot drive my 6 ohms 86db speakers well enough at higher volume levels. Not that I listen to music at crazy volume levels, but sometimes you want to have that reserve power :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.