Topping TP20 mod into a power amp so I can use with preamp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am wanting to use the TP20 with my audiolab pre amp. Does anyone know how I can bypass the Voulme on TP20 and mod it into a poweramp so I can use with external preamp?

Any real benefit to doing this? Anyone tries using their integrated t-amps with an external pre?

hey Mike,
Amazon Prime missed the delivery twice. It was meant to arrive yesterday - no show. They re-arranged it for today - no show. Finally Amazon cancelled the order and gave me a refund so I could order it again :(

Fingers crossed and hopefully second delivery will arrive tomorrow.. Not a great start to the Tripath Quest.. Maybe its an omen.. lol

I am wanting to use the TP20 with my audiolab pre amp. Any real benefit to doing this? Anyone tries using their integrated t-amps with an external pre?

Why? What specific benefit are you looking to gain? Since most Tripath based amps seem to have volume control; except some older Bel Canto amps.

Hi,
Does anyone know how I can bypass the Voulme on TP20 and mod it into a poweramp so I can use with external preamp?

You would simply remove the pot, then solder jumpers in place of the pins to have a non-attenuated signal.

Why? What specific benefit are you looking to gain? Since most Tripath based amps seem to have volume control; except some older Bel Canto amps.

You would simply remove the pot, then solder jumpers in place of the pins to have a non-attenuated signal.

A few reasons why I want to use a different pre:
- remote for vol ;)
- multiple sources, switchable from remote
- possibly bi-amp (more in other thread)

Had a detailed chat with Mike if removing the vol pot and adding jumpers be the same as leaving the vol on full ;) for one I think I will just try the vol on full and see how I go..

I was thinking about TP60, but given that I do not know what T-amps sound like, it would have been a high risk n high budget 'test'..

If t-amps sound anything like my onkyo av receiver, I would not be happy with the sound.

My wattage requirements are below 1w, so I don't really need a bigger amp, it's about the quality.. Most t-amps tend to have only 2 inputs, unlike most commercial preamps. So tp20 fitted the requirements. I am very happy with the sound of my current Audiolab+Proac sound! not sure if T-amps will sound better or worse. If it's worse, tp20 would have been a cheapish toy that I can sell or dispose ;)

It's so hard to find any reviews of T-amps vs commercial non DIY amp and speakers..

A well designed tripath based amp should sound better than that receiver, but a cheap one will have cheap parts and probably not the best design. Unfortunately, proper power supplies and well engineered parts are not cheap.

Here is what I have, but it's not the norm for tripath amps:
T-AMP180-product- Poppulse

If you want cheap low power and high quality sound, how about a chip amp like the LM3886?

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
I have the tp-20 and while its a cheap amp with probably cheap parts, it sounds damn good.
the good thing about the tp 20 is that it uses what I understand one of the best tripath chip the ta2021. also, the fact that it only output 15 W is good for mulitple reasons like no switching noise is used ect.

I have also a better ta2020 based amp: the art0 tripath module that also uses the ta2021 chip but with a better circuit a better pieces. it comes in a kit form, was recommended to me by hans satink and blows away the tp 20.

DIY! HIGH END! AUDIOPHILE AMLIFIER BASED ON THE MOST ADVANCED TRIPATH 'S CLASS-T TA2021B CHIP!

I have heard a lot of amps, and the art0 module is the best amp Ive heard in my life. the opinion of hans satink on the subject of amps:

Don't try another digital amp, even not a Tripath with more power. I tried it all. Art0 is the best amp i know.

Hypex stuff is not for hifi. The problem with digital amp's is the power. If you raise above 15Watt's output, the trebles are ruined by the switching noise.

I still prefer a 300B SET for the trebles. The Circlotron amp's have it all. Power 40Watt's trebles like a 300B and punch like a class D.

In my humble opinion there is nothing else in the world as these 3.

The Circlotron's have all the benefit's from every topology.

A good 300B SET will equal the circlotron in the trebles but will add some colour to the sound. I don't like colourisation in the end. It is a dynamic factor which never can be controlled. 300B set are not strong in the low end.

That is my worry exactly regarding sound. Switching PSU and all that.. I suppose it's great if you want good sound at a budget, not sure what it will be if you are looking at it purely from a sound quality perspective

Yes I got in touch with Peter over at audio sector for lm4780 dual mono kit.. Maybe after I have heard what tp20 sounds like :) my DIY skills ain't that good..

Also, the total cost lm4780 kit + power + knobs and switches + good quality internal wires + nice aluminium front case etc isn't less than around £200. For that kind of money you can get a decent sounding second hand Audiolab, rotel, Cyrus etc.. I am not sure what resale value would I get if I didn't like the sound of DIY amp . It is unclear if there is a market for used gainclone amps, after all everyone wants to DIY... Isn't that the point?

Again, very few reviews of gainsclone vs commercial hifi amps + speakers, so it's difficult to know how great these amps sound. Some say it's comparing oranges to apples, so best to listen for yourself.

Could search for reviews on the Audiosource AMP-100. It uses the National Semiconductor Chip amps. The LM3xxx something. I took one apart and the build and parts looked ok. Not real good but ok. That may give you a comparison against the tripath.

When reading the reviews, disregard the reviews that said these were noisy. Mine was noisy but I had a ground loop. When that was fixed, the noise was gone.

For what its worth, it sounded pretty good to me but I did like the TP60 better. Could not tell you if the power supply or the better parts or the different chips was the reason I like the TP60 better.

Might have to try a 300B SET next! Thanks for the link Murphy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.