Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2014, 12:22 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Distortion at frequencies above 500Hz???

I have designed a class-d amplifier that will put out 20W into 8 ohms. This is for my own house.

I am lucky enough to have some very good audio test equipment at work namely the Audio Presicion ATS-2 and APx525.

The self-oscillating modulator is my own discrete design with a switching frequency varying from 400kHz to 700kHz. Opamps are OPA1612 and comparator is LT1711.

I am getting around 110dB SNR and around 0.002% distortion from 20 Hz up to 500 Hz.

At 500 Hz the problem starts. The distortion ramps up very quickly such that by 5 kHz the distortion is around 0.15%. This is very stark difference to 0.002%.

Long story short I am starting to suspect that the output filter that I am using is causing the distortion. I have gone over the modulator changing the filter corners and error amplifier / integrator gain. I have also tried multiple other op amps including the LM4562 and AD8620, But no matter what I do the ramp in distortion does not budge.

For this design it is my first time using this type of inductor: http://www.sagami-elec.co.jp/file/7G09B.pdf.
The filter capacitor is Film 150nF 100V: Panasonic / ECWU1154JC9

Output filter picture can be seen as attachment.

Does anybody here have experience with those Sagami inductors? Do they have problems at higher frequencies?

Maybe I am overlooking something else also. All comments are greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Output_Filter.jpg (35.2 KB, 162 views)
Old 7th March 2014, 01:27 AM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

This appears to be a common mode inductor, do you have both windings phased correctly, the schematic makes it appear they are reversed one relative to the other.. (I am assuming a bridged output.)

It's been more than a decade since I last worked on a class D amp, but the bridged ones I worked with did not use CM chokes, but had an independent diff mode choke on each output of the pair. The output filter is an integrator and I suspect the choke may not have enough differential inductance to do the job, probably a very sizeable amount of HF current in the caps.
Old 7th March 2014, 01:35 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
This appears to be a common mode inductor, do you have both windings phased correctly, the schematic makes it appear they are reversed one relative to the other.. (I am assuming a bridged output.)

It's been more than a decade since I last worked on a class D amp, but the bridged ones I worked with did not use CM chokes, but had an independent diff mode choke on each output of the pair. The output filter is an integrator and I suspect the choke may not have enough differential inductance to do the job, probably a very sizeable amount of HF current in the caps.
My understanding was that even though it is a single part it is actually two individual inductors (not coupled). I will contact sagami to verify this.
Old 7th March 2014, 02:42 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Depending on the power level you're testing at this might be normal pre-filter feedback behaviour. Since you didn't post a THD versus power sweep for us to look at you might try comparing to, for example, figure 24 of the IRAUDAMP4A datasheet.
Old 7th March 2014, 12:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twest820 View Post
Depending on the power level you're testing at this might be normal pre-filter feedback behaviour. Since you didn't post a THD versus power sweep for us to look at you might try comparing to, for example, figure 24 of the IRAUDAMP4A datasheet.
I have both pre and post filter feedback. I will get these plots poster later today.
Old 7th March 2014, 09:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have posted some plots that i did earlier today with the audio analyzer. They should be self explanatory I guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FFT_5kHz_Full_Scale.jpg (209.4 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg FFT_500Hz_Full_Scale.jpg (216.1 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg FFT_Idling_Zero_Input.jpg (217.3 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg FFT_IMD_80hz_&_3kHz.jpg (223.9 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Full_Power_THD+N_VS_FREQ.jpg (196.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg HALF_Power_THD+N_VS_FREQ.jpg (201.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Power_VS_THD+N@5kHz.jpg (188.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Power_VS_THD+N@500Hz.jpg (177.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 7th March 2014, 10:31 PM   #7
Khron is offline Khron  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
On a summary calculation, the cut-off frequency of your filter is about 90kHz - that's VERY high (especially for a self-oscillating amp). More common target frequencies are around half that.

2x 22uH + 330nF would put you around 42kHz.
Old 8th March 2014, 12:25 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I use separate t106-2 cores with as many turns as I can get on of 18SWG enamelled copper wire.
Old 8th March 2014, 01:44 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyaniccypher View Post
I have both pre and post filter feedback. I will get these plots poster later today.
Can you post a schematic too? Kinda hard to reason about this with only a partial schematic that's misleading for the parts of the design it does show.

Last edited by twest820; 8th March 2014 at 01:46 AM.
Old 8th March 2014, 11:27 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twest820 View Post
Can you post a schematic too? Kinda hard to reason about this with only a partial schematic that's misleading for the parts of the design it does show.
Here is the schematic.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AMP3.pdf (20.6 KB, 27 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!