Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2014, 11:23 AM   #1
waeah is offline waeah  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Ambitious and addicted, but haven't even started!

I have no/little experience or knowledge with making amps or anything alike. However, i am experienced with high end car audio, where the focus is sound quality. Have done hifi/home theatre systems for years, but no diy'ing.

I have been talking and reading about this for too long. I -always- end up with diy projects when i do something (Car audio, house renovation, programming, aquariums, etc..). Its time!

If you do know of a easy-to-read tutorial; shoot!

I'm always terribly ambitious when i start something new, so my ultimate goal would be 5.1 surround with diy speakers, with active crossovers to diy power amps. Thats 11 channels, if its all 2way speakers!

eBay has alot of amp kits (yes, ill start with just a kit, i think), but are they worth buying? For me it makes sense to buy a small 2x25w kit, or whatever. If i break anything its not all that bad.. I'm not planning to actually use the first build. Stricly for learning purposes, and has to be cheap.
Is there any chips/names/brands i should look more or less into? Maybe run away from?

Besides eBay, what sites should i look into?
I also need to update my workbench, as its not adequate to this fine-soldering.
I am actually gonna build myself a room in the basement for purposes like this.
So, yes, i am ambitious and addicted, and i havent even started!

My plan with this thread is to post my progress, fights and questions. I'll upload pics if there is interest.

General advice and discussion is more than welcome!
Old 8th February 2014, 12:22 PM   #2
bimo is offline bimo  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waeah View Post
Besides eBay, what sites should i look into?
Some members of this forum offer kits. Please take a look Vendor Bazaar.
I highly recommended a CFA design. You can try Lazy Cat or Bonsai design (VSSA, First One, Nx Amplifier). There are some members offer kits that designed by other members, too.
If you want more documented design, please see Honey Badger thread.

There are many great design here but not always offer as a kit.
Old 9th February 2014, 12:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

If you are interested in class d then I would recommend buying a ready made kit.
Class d is a bit of a black art. Decoupling, pcb layout and good design is vital.

Maybe try building a class AB amp first as they are much more forgiving.
Old 9th February 2014, 01:14 PM   #4
waeah is offline waeah  Norway
diyAudio Member

I have read and researched more. Looked into the amps you suggested, bimo. I'll probably try one/some of them later.

I've gotten very interested in the L15D-Pro, as users are happy with it, the price is right, and available as a kit.

Would be great to run two L15D-Pro's, or anything similar.

Whats more needed, than the two amp boards? Transformer and power supply board, anything more ?

And do you have any suggestions on which power supply board and transformer i should get?

Aaaand, yes: i do know how to google. I'm already doing heaps of it - but there is just so much! Big learning curve for me

Hide this!Advertise here!