Newb needs modding help for NR509

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks,
My Onkyo TX NR509 is driving 1 pair of Kef Cresta's with sub out to a Sony WA-SM40

I like the quality with 2 channel and sub- but I tried an experiment with all stereo all channels using a cheap Acoustech Labs AL 322 center with AL 300 fronts mounted 3 feet higher than the Kef's and 2 ft further back in addition to a pair of old cheap Rca rear spkrs. RT2250B.
I bi-wired the 2 fronts ( I know it was a risk-but fun) and I got a lot of sound. 14 gauge wire all around.The rears are mobile ( take out to the deck or into the kitchen.
But the quality was not as good but not bad either.

I'm wondering if I can insert preouts on the board (none on the 509) and direct the stereo signal to a pair of class d mono's or stereo for the Kef's and leave the onboard 80- watts for the center and rears and additional fronts?

I understand i'm leaving a lot of info out but the main thing is I have very little disposable income so I have to make do with old gear around the house like a Yamaha HTR 5660 AVR
Technics SA AX 530 and a Clarion car amp APX 401.4 (left channel dead)
I suspect the Sony sub could do with a mod or two as well.
I see some amp modules for under $100 or even $50

Would anyone like to take this challenge on or am I dreaming and best bet is to sell all the amps and upgrade the receiver /
Seems a waste of a good preamp for whatever extra I et from a level or two up.

Thoughts or comments ?

Thank You
x3

Thanks Rens- You are correct in that the secondary speakers are the weak link. I was pleasantly surprised when I switched back from parallel wiring the Wall of Sound with the 509 to just the Kef`s. and sub. I was not sure it would work as the manual said the 509 does not drive 4 ohm loads or at least not well. I need to hook up my Tascam usb interface and learn the test measurements I can make with a flat freq mic. Then experiment and test again. i think it will be fun !
I know the Sony sub is low end..any tricks to improve improve the sound quality and crossover control?

Cheers to you as well..
x3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.