Lepai Lp-2020a+ Removing and Changing Volume Knob and Potentiometer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I bought a Lepai lp-2020a+ amp and I'm mostly happy with the one I currently have and think I finally got a good sample but I'm getting tired of the quality control and RMA'ing these, every one I get has some slight problem (broken power switch, only fuzz past half volume, and now this).
I am decent enough at soldering that I figured I could give this a go to fix it myself because this amp sounds good enough to keep.
So here's the problem, everything on this amp works great except the volume knob gets stuck somewhere around 40-60% volume sometimes. I figured it was just catching on the plastic clear case that lights up and was planning on filing it down, except I can't get the knob off the the potentiometer.
I am able to simply pull off the treble and bass knobs but the volume knob is really giving me some troubles. I searched around for this and I read that putting shims under the knob near the shaft would help but it didn't help me and I was worried about breaking the plastic.
I found replacement pots on ebay for 1.19 shipped and I also read about changing to a logarithmic pot I just haven't seen a decently priced logarithmic pot yet.

The only issue here is I can't get the knob off the pot or find a replacement knob if anyone knows anything about either it would be greatly appreciated. I mentioned replacing the pot because I have made drilling out the shaft of the pot as a last resort.

Thanks!

Haha I thought I was going to and I finally figured it out tonight.
The silver part simply pulls off and the clear part is held on with a nut. I was trying to pull both off at the same time assuming the nut was underneath... Although the clear part on mine was molded weird and is the cause for it catching so I will post in there asking if anyone knows where I can get a new one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.