Need comments on TA2020 layout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a TA2020 chip and plan to DIY an amplifier around this IC. I know that there are 41khz site and ebay that sell the TA2020 amp with reasonable price. But I want to to build it myself so I can learn something.

TA2020 as pdf document, need an digital layout design and need a good layout in order to sound good. So I read it as much as I could, tried to learn Kicard and finally a layout :D

So need comments of your guys on it. Is it ok one or need improve, if need improved, change then how? :confused:

Layout should be attach with the post.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot - 01062014 - 07:52:05 PM.png
    Screenshot - 01062014 - 07:52:05 PM.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 196
@lutkeveld

I got all my info by google. I use the schematic from

http://www.profusionplc.com/images/data%20sheets/eb-ta2020.pdf

It have the schematic, the layout and BOM of TA2020 EVALUATION BOARD.

I also look at AMP6 layout (popular) and ta2020 mkIII (sound good) and note from

http://aes.sdsu.edu/documents/TA2020.pdf

I'm kind of copying the ideal at this moment. I see many cap and L need to close to IC as possible so I plan to place TA2020 at the center and move the output below the IC. Currently I place the 8 diodes after the L, may be I should move to the bottom layer as ta2020 mkIII.

@nigelwright7557:

I still new to pcb routeing. So what is the purpose of using ground panel, any goods? and how to use it properly?

Do you have a schematic or example for RC decouple?

I will try to tighten the layout more but I don't plan to use SMD parts.

ilkafrv;3766935 @nigelwright7557: I still new to pcb routeing. So what is the purpose of using ground panel said:
The ground plane gives a low impedance to ground and also acts as a screen.

I use 1nf and 10r at the mosfets.

The class d IC should be decoupled as close as possible to IC power supply pins.

If you have a regulator in your circuit then that should be decoupled closely too. I once got caught out with clicking on the audio due to lack of decoupling on the regulator.

The ground plane gives a low impedance to ground and also acts as a screen.

I use 1nf and 10r at the mosfets.

The class d IC should be decoupled as close as possible to IC power supply pins.

If you have a regulator in your circuit then that should be decoupled closely too. I once got caught out with clicking on the audio due to lack of decoupling on the regulator.

Thanks! I will redo the layout. I will change the inductors and diodes to dual inductors and diodes to diode bridge (all SMD) so I can place them on bottom layout -> save some space + more close to the IC.

Ground planes are essential because they allow the use of minimal length grounding traces from components. When you have large currents being switched at high frequencies, you want all traces through which those currents travel to be as short as possible to minimize effects from parasitic capacitance and inductance, and short traces are less likely to act like little EMI antennae (as a general rule anyway). A good ground plane can also help to reduce noise in the circuit if it surrounds noisy traces by providing a low impedance "sink" to some radiated EMI. It certainly won't stop most or all of it, but it can help. In the end, think of the ground plane as a super wide copper ground trace that has been stretched over the whole board, providing everything that connects to it a low impedance path to the main ground termination on the board.

Many times, high power switching electronics will have two ground planes, one for the low current signal-level circuits and one for the high power stuff. That sort of design demands a 4 layer board (or more), and is probably unnecessary for relatively slow-speed stuff like audio signals, even class D. Commercial designs may use more layers, but the cost-benefit ratio isn't really there for DIY type stuff in quantities of 10 or less.

Last edited:
Just be careful of using a ground plane correctly because it can also cause as many problems as it solves.

If you have traces that break the ground plane. For example a via run on the ground plane side then you should either make a shielding trace or break the ground plane completely by opening a gap to the edge.

A ground plane cannot substitute a proper star ground. Many device like class D chips require a star ground to the chip itself. In that case the ground plane should only be used as the power ground and all other grounds should be run directly to the star ground point.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.