Sure products

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a nice simple little build to power my Cornwalls for nearfield listening. My source is a macbook pro using JRiver out through a DAC and terminating in RCA.

It looks like the this TA2024 + power supply kit would work just fine for my intimate listening power needs: amp + power @ ebay

and that this volume module would sit just fine between my dac and the amp board: volume knob

it seems stupid simple and I'm just wondering if I'm missing something. I think I'd like to get a fancy piece of wood from Rockler and just mount these components out in the open on that vs. in an enclosure.

I have one (got mine off Parts Express, Amazon has them too!)
I have been listening to for a couple of days. Can't beat the price, doesn't generate any heat, runs off a simple power supply. I have ran mine off a 15volt 6 amp supply like the picture and I ordered a 19 volt 4 amp computer supply. I can't really hear the difference between the 2 supplies. The computer supply was only 9 dollars.

I also have the volume knob, it also works as an on/off switch. You will have to solder in the 2 sockets the switch plugs into, through hole simple solder job.

It is stupid simple and stupid cheap, makes me wonder why I am building LM1875 amps when I can buy one of these for less then the transformer needed for the LM1875.

There is a thread on here about 5 years ago that explains if you change the ceramic capacitors on the output the amp will sound better and looking at the graphs there is a really nasty peak of distortion at 1khz.

When I first fired the amp up I thought I was occasionally hearing something nasty but the longer it runs the less I notice that noise and I don't think I heard it friday night in 4 hours of listening.

I plan on buying a few more. At these prices I may even attempt the mod.

Thad, do yourself a favor and mount the boards in a case, it really isn't that difficult. There are many reasons to do so and it might save your project.

In fact, I'm working on some aluminum cases at the moment and I might be able to offer you something that will work. I build custom audio amp, preamp, and other enclosures. If you can do some of the work, I will have some pieces that may work for a simple project like this. Alternatively, there are many case offerings such as Hammond brand that would meet your needs.

I am working on a bike-mounted boom box using the Sure TK-2024 chip. I'll be starting a thread about it when I get further along. I have some questions about connectivity for Bluetooth and a few other questions but they are probably better addressed in my own thread. It's good to hear that others are having good results with the Sure-Electronics products. I've built and used T-amps, previously, with the original TK2020 boards (not Sure) and found them to play well but were anything but durable. Hopefully, the new TK 2024 from Sure is more reliable.

you might check your wiring or maybe contact Sure. the on/off feature is for basically muting the inputs only, not for enabling or disabling the power supply. as to the knob turning, that's exactly what you want so that you don't go from zilch to blasting loud with the slightest touch.

I will do that the next time I experiment with this amp.
Spent the evening soldering up my pre amp 3 selector switch.
Amazes me how something so simple can be such a pain in the **** :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.