SMPS400 standby mode ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I cant figure out how to put the SMPS400 with its connected amps (UcD180HG) into standby/sleep/power saving mode. According to the documentation, there should be a dc input on pin 2 / J5.

How to trigger that input ???? :confused: does it have to come from an external source ? Is there a way to let the SMPS put itself to sleep if there is no signal after a certain laps of time ? I'm totally confused.

Hi,

Yes, I've wondered about that 'feature' also.
As the DS states, a "external DC voltage between 3.3V and 12V, applied to Pin 1 of J5" puts the SMPS into Standby.
I'd rather have it that way that either a 'open' or 'gnd' relationship would perform the standby function, as gnd is a condition or potential of every circuit.
This would require a simple switch to perform the standby/wakeup actions.
With the Hypex open as well as gnd put the SMPS into working state.
So there's no way other than to generate a external DC voltage within the specced voltage range. :-(

jauu
Calvin

hmm. is there a little device / sensor that could do just that ? If i understood the documentation correctly the sensor could get its power fron the SMPS itself which seems to have a low power providing section which does not go into to sleep mode ? (??)

Hi,

Yes, I've wondered about that 'feature' also.
As the DS states, a "external DC voltage between 3.3V and 12V, applied to Pin 1 of J5" puts the SMPS into Standby.
I'd rather have it that way that either a 'open' or 'gnd' relationship would perform the standby function, as gnd is a condition or potential of every circuit.
This would require a simple switch to perform the standby/wakeup actions.
With the Hypex open as well as gnd put the SMPS into working state.
So there's no way other than to generate a external DC voltage within the specced voltage range. :-(

jauu
Calvin

but where would that DC voltage come from ? a preamp ? Isn't there a possibility to install a little device which could detect an absence of signla on the input or output for a set amount of time an trigger the voltage ? I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time triying to figure out how to implement the standby mode. The amps use quite alot of energy when they are not doing any amplifiying, so it would be great to lower the energy usage when they are idle.

Hi,

a external Voltage between 3,3 and 12V puts the SMPS into standby. Where this voltge comes from doesn't matter. In the devices I used the SMPS400 in I had a 12V line to use.
Iirc the lowvoltage rails of the Hypex are generated either by taps of the secondary windings or dedicated windings. In any case does that mean, that it would not generate a lowvoltage rail in standby mode, independantly of the highvoltage rails.
Unfortunately I couldn't test the SMPS as thoroughly as I wished for.
So I don't know if the SMPS could generate its own standby signal.
To be sure You should contact Hypex about Your Q.
Make sure also, if You're using a generic amplifier, that it has a high PSRR figure.
The SMPS certainly puts out high ripple of several volts in a sawtooth shape under load.
Also, from the sheer size of the PCB and transformer I'd say it'd be good for maybe 40-50W of continous output. The high power ratings from the DS would only apply for short time pulses. Afaik Hypex doesn't spec Output Power over time. So be cautious, especially when using generic amplifiers, that the PS really fits Your requirements.

jauu
Calvin

Last edited:
hi calvin, thanks for the info. i will check with hypex, unless of course someone would chime in with a solution. i have a ucd180hg amp with the smps400/180 all other components don't have any triggers (pioneer n-50 and a passive pre)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.