Complete noob, where do I start?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Class D for Newbie

I would suggest that you consider purchasing one of the assembled Class D amplifier, such as those based on the Tripath chip. There are a number of them offered on eBay. I would suggest you start with one of these and then consider modifying the unit by changing the input capacitors, volume control, etc.

In addition, there are a number of kits available via the Internet. They require soldering skills. Most require you to purchase and fabricate a chassis independent of the kit that has the electronics.

Once you learn to solder, learning how to read a schematic, and identify the components in the schematic are required skills. Reading electronic schematics and identifying components are tutorials that you can find on the Internet.

Once you have been exposed to the rudiments of schematic reading you can, then, ask for help here. You just have to get to the point where you are using the same terms as other members in the hobby.

Class D can easily catch out the unwary.
Class D is critical where pcb layout is concerned and also decoupling.
If something isn't quite right then the chip can go into a fault mode and keep resetting.
It took me 3 revisions of pcb before I got one that worked with the irs2092.

I would advise going for a chip class d amplifier instead of discrete as the chip amps have lots of protection built in. I built a discrete class d amp and had hum problems and mosfet blowing problems under clipping signals.

You may want to look at gain clones (in the chip amp forum). They aren't class D but they are fairly simple to understand and make.

Also, consider a kit with through-the-hole parts. You can pull the stuff off and try again if your soldering isn't perfect. In the end you'll have less frustration.

If the inefficiency of class A is ok the read Nelson Pass' Zen Amp articles as a warm up.

Good luck!

I assembled a pair of Ncore 400 amps with zero prior experience, including soldering. Didn't know a capacitor from a transformer. Given those credentials, I'm sure my advice isn't even worth 2 cents. But they worked immediately. Followed tutorials on Internet as suggested including this site. Have been settling in for about six weeks. Very pleased with what's unfolding. Pricey if you blow it but really pretty easy with critical wiring prebundled.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.