Advice on fixing Topping TP20 mk2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I just recieved a Topping TP20 from Amazon. It worked fine for a few minutes but then the right channel went out. Long story short, if I bypass the capacitor marked C20 on the board and connect the right channel negative directly to the capacitor behind it, it works at full volume. Could anybody tell me what the capacitor does? Should I just replace it? If so, should I replace all of them or just that one?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
OK, well you would have to show a circuit and point out the cap in question. When you say "right channel negative"... you mean speaker side of things, not the inputs. You see why a circuit tells all :)

I'd send it back tbh. I would doubt its as simple as a cap, more likely zapped silicon.

Yikes! Send it back! If it was a ~$15 YJ or Lepai then you could dick with it, fruitlessly, to your whim.
But at $80 ? Likely the Cheap Clone Ta chip died.. they do that :) sooner or later.
Personally I'd try for a $ refund rather than a replacement unit.
But then I've had several Clone Ta chips die exactly the same way.
Consequently there's a Bit of a bias, I'm willing to admit.

Sorry for the sparse information. I was trying to finish the post on my lunch hour.
7NNBC5dl.jpg

The reason I think it is the capacitor and not the chip is because if I touch the negative speaker wire to the output of the capacitor labeled C20 on the board, the volume is extremely low. If I touch it to the capacitor labeled C6 It goes to full volume.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Still need to see a circuit diagram to give a definitive answer... best guess so far is that one side of the bridged Class D output stage is zapped and you are putting the speaker across output and ground.

Send it back.

(and if you're convinced its the cap then change it. Takes less time to do that than read these replies :D Having done that, then then you can send it back)

So... I replaced the capacitor and it didn't do anything. You guys were absolutely right, Having said that, There was a slight incident while trying to remove the volume knob and returning it isn't an option. Does anybody have any ideas on what I should do next? Something I could check with my multimeter to figure out what's wrong?

...best guess so far is that one side of the bridged Class D output stage is zapped and you are putting the speaker across output and ground...
Okay, I'm still a noob at all this. (which is why I was probably stupid to even open it up in the first place). Aren't I trying to put the speaker from output to ground? Or is negative speaker output different from ground?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
On a bridged amp (which I think this is) the speaker is connected between the output of two identical amplifiers. As the output of one goes up, the other goes down so that you end up with twice the voltage available to drive the speaker. So no, the speakers are not ground referenced in any way.

Can somebody explain what all the capacitors in front of the outputs do? Also, is there a way I can check to see if it was the TA2020 chip that got zapped then? If it was that, then I can just stop messing with it, say that I've learned my lesson and buy an Audiosource Amp 100 or something.

They're all part of the output reconstruction filter. Does the error is somewhat touch/bend sensitive? Maybe its just about bad soldering the IC side. This can be tested by putting some force here and there (slighty).

Another test would be to cool down the whole setup. I'd guess you haven't any cooling spray around? You might try isobutane/propane to freeze the filter section (when power is plugged off) and check afterwards. (In cold state)

Edit: As noted from the datasheet, you may check for the following as well:

Voltage on Pin 6 (OVERLOADB) should measure >3.5V in reference to GND (if not, theres a problem on the input stage/side)

The OVERLOADB pin is a 5V logic output. When low, it indicates that the level of the input signal has
overloaded the amplifier resulting in increased distortion at the output. The OVERLOADB signal can be
used to control a distortion indicator light or LED through a simple buffer circuit.

Voltage on Pin 18 (FAULT) should measure <1.0V in reference to GND (if not, theres a problem with the IC [thermal overload])

The FAULT pin is a 5V logic output that indicates various fault conditions within the device. These
conditions include: low supply voltage, low charge pump voltage, low 5V regulator voltage, over current at
any output, and junction temperature greater than approximately 155°C. The FAULT output is capable of
directly driving an LED through a series 2KΩ resistor. If the FAULT pin is connected directly to the MUTE
input an automatic reset will occur in the event of an over-current condition.

In any case, you'll need to put an amperemeter in the +-line of your supply to see any shorts or fried output-stage(s). With no input signal supplied, the quiescent current of the IC is at ~75mA. Having a fried output-stage often results in massive current-draw - heating up the ICs and the coils in the output filter section.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm not so sure its not that capacitor that I replaced. When I touch the speaker wire to one side of the capacitor, it outputs at the same very quiet volume as when I connect it to the back of the amp. I'm also pretty sure this pad has a trace to the that output. When I touch the wire to the other lead of the cap, it outputs at full or near full volume. Can anybody explain this?

Yep, you guys were right. It wasn't the caps. It appears that the amp will output the same volume with or without the caps. Unfortunately when I was trying to check out the TA2020 with my multimeter I think I accidentally bridged couple of pins that I should not have. It immediately shut off and now it will not play any sound. So I think I may be in need of a new amp.
On that note, anybody have any suggestions on a good amp under about $150?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.