No Sound from Hypex UcD180 / SMPS400 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2013, 02:27 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Unhappy No Sound from Hypex UcD180 / SMPS400

Hi all,
I've put together a build with two UcD180HG amps and one SMPS400. I connected everything as in the diagrams found on this forum but I guess I have messed-up somewhere because there is hardly any sound from the amp. Turning the volume up on the pre-amp doesn't seem to make any difference. I have checked soldering, etc., re-checked the diagram but still no success.

The amps are wired with RCA plugs.

Diagrams used for wiring in post no. 6
Hypex SMPS400 + 2x UCD180 wiring (DC error, Auto Amplifier Enable, Amplifier Standby)

Any help greatly appreciated
thank's
Old 15th November 2013, 04:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Update: I've re-wired pin 4 (J4) to the GND. Sound is a little louder but still very muted.

HELP ;-)

thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 09:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Cookie box amp

I have rechecked all connection. The amp is wired the same as the first picture. On the second you can see the actual amp. Sorry, it looks like a birds nest but the connections are good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080177.jpg (325.8 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (757.1 KB, 126 views)
Old 15th November 2013, 09:53 PM   #4
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm unclear why you've wired UcD pin 4 to ground. Both of those should go to the yellow wire on your SMPS and nowhere else.

The blue lights on the modules are turning on? You've checked for +/- DC power from the PS module?

Since you're using unbalanced inputs you should be on Pins 1&2.....Pin 3 should be open.

Dave.
Old 15th November 2013, 10:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Smile Success, it finally is working !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
I'm unclear why you've wired UcD pin 4 to ground. Both of those should go to the yellow wire on your SMPS and nowhere else.

The blue lights on the modules are turning on? You've checked for +/- DC power from the PS module?

Since you're using unbalanced inputs you should be on Pins 1&2.....Pin 3 should be open.

Dave.
Thank's for that. Pin 4 (UcD) is back on the yellow wire on the PS. That was the initial setup I had. Not sure what you mean by Pin 3 open ? I have the shielded cable from Hypex which has a shielding and two cables in the middle. One of them is on the + of the RCA and the other together with the shielding on the chassis. I think this is what Hypex recommends.

In the meantime ....

In a last resort attempt I took the whole box upstairs where my main stereo is and hooked it up.. guess what.. it works !

I still have to figure out what was causing the problem, but I suspect that it was either a faulty pair of (old) loudspeakers I was using for the test or the LS cables...

Best to all.
R

PS will post some pics of the build when I get the enclosure.

Hide this!Advertise here!