Active speaker amps - Cheap options? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2013, 08:44 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Active speaker amps - Cheap options?

Hey

I have some 2 Hypex 180ST's lying around, and one ST supply, but i know i need a lot more parts...

I was thinking of getting 1 more ST supply but the price and even more parts will add up, and prices for SMPS supply's atleast the ones Hypex has to offer will increase the price more then i want it to..

So i was thinking of a easier way, is the diy kits of good SMPS supplies?, and if i were to use these i would not have to buy toroids and another ST supply, i want it to be as easy and simple as possible to fit inside a active fullrange speaker.

So i want to have a easy install with as few parts as possible, noiseless operation, diy kit SMPS supply if possible, and i only need one channel because i dont have any crossover points, also need a cooling plate for the amps and the SMPS, any ideas are very welcome..

/M
Old 5th November 2013, 11:24 PM   #2
kntl is offline kntl  Finland
diyAudio Member

Tervehdys

if you could say little more about your skill level in electronics. how öh hard you want to drive your speakers. What about electricy bill versus consumption or do you run in battery. can you post more detailed requirements and that ST supply specs
Old 6th November 2013, 06:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well i have decent enough soldering skills, but i havnt done dubblesided prints or smd soldering, so a option more plug and play would be the best for me at my skill level.

The Hypex modules give of 100W 8ohm, and i dont need any overkill supply as its gonna drive 2 pc of Mark Audio CHR70 pr channel, battery operation is not needed either..

I was set on using SMPS's instead as this would be the easiest option for me, but if im going with a analog supply another Hypex ST supply is needed for the mono supply in each speaker - Link:http://www.hypex.nl/docs/UcDSupplyST_datasheet.pdf

I thought about using 40V 150VA toroids behind the ST supplies..

Last edited by Hemshems; 6th November 2013 at 06:23 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!