Hypex in Counterpoint chassis - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2013, 02:29 PM   #1
fwt1712 is offline fwt1712  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Hypex in Counterpoint chassis

I have a pair of Counterpoint SA12s that are both working perfectly well but I understand the output devices are no longer available and if anything goes wrong with them I would have to look elsewhere.

So my question is - could I retrofit hypex modules and if so which ones. A peek inside at the circuit boards which says that the rails are +/- 40v (I haven't measured this, but assume it is right for the time being). From the hypex site this suggests ucd 180 modules. Assuming the ucd 180 will work with this rail voltage can I assume that I could connect the hypex into the power supply of the counterpoint, mate up the hypex heat sinks to the existing heat sinks of the counterpoint and connect the input and output connectors and have a nice new (nice sounding, cooler running and hopefully long-lived) amp using my existing case, transformer etc.

The one issue I can think of is do I need to organise any sort of soft start on the Counterpoint's power supply. The amp currently takes quite a while to start which I assume is a timer module or the warming up of the valve stages. From what I can see the power connects straight into the transformer and that there is no soft start or similar on this side of the amp. If anyone is familiar with the sa12 or has done a similar conversion I would be very pleased to hear from you.

regards,
Nigel.
Old 25th September 2013, 07:10 AM   #2
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

I believe that your amp uses IRF130 Hexfets which I believe are still available , at least a google search shows a lot of places with them in stock .....

As for the hypex I don't see why it wouldn't work ...
Old 28th September 2013, 05:28 PM   #3
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

I changed over my Hitachi's in a Hafler to Exicons. A little work as the entire compensation plan had to change, but was very happy with the results.
Old 1st October 2013, 09:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Minion,

The SA-12 and SA-100 have both N-channel and P-channel MOSFETS, not just the N-channel ones. As I remember, they used fairly rare ones which ARE not manufactured anymore and hard to get. But...

Tvrgeek, can you provide more details on what you did to install the Exicons. Many of us with dead SA-12's and SA-100's would love to have that information!!!!

Greg in Mississippi

Hide this!Advertise here!