Thodio iBox XC - Hardware Analysis / New boombox concept - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2013, 05:58 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroDeMio View Post
I have to disagree.
Science disagrees with you. It has been proven that all li-ion cells without exception and no matter the protection and care taken always will self-combust. It may take 1000s of years, or it may take a week but they will self-combust at some point.
Old 17th September 2013, 06:42 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Lainus, music signals are not continuous sinus waves. So divide power by 8 but remember to double for 2 channels.

As mentioned several times in the Boominator thread, a 7Ah SLA lasts about 20 hours at maximum volume before clipping. So a 6600mAh LiFePO4 should be plenty. Luckily that's also pretty easy to get and although costly to buy (roughly $100 for roughly 7Ah is standard) it is in fact cheaper than li-ion batteries simply because they can be recharged at least 10 times more before capacity starts to drop (2000-5000 deep cycles vs. 200-500 deep cycles). Even if an LiFePO4 is overcharged/overdischarged by accident, all that happens is a loss of a few hundred effective deep cycles.

I am not aware of any EU dealer that have them in stock, luckily LiFePO4 batteries are by default UN38.3 approved so they can be shipped internationally.

This is an example of what can be found on aliexpress. These are same size as 12V 7Ah standard SLAs.

Free shipping 1pcs/lot LiFePO4 Battery 12V 7.5Ah for UPS or E bike with Long cycle life or motorcycle starter-in Battery Packs from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com

Many other options are available. If you like to DIY your own pack you can typically get away with 2/3rd of that price even when the PCM is included.
Old 17th September 2013, 07:49 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
Science disagrees with you. It has been proven that all li-ion cells without exception and no matter the protection and care taken always will self-combust. It may take 1000s of years, or it may take a week but they will self-combust at some point.
In that point i agree, since lithium react with the atmosphere gases, but i still prefere to use them, the price, and the relation of volume/capacity

Of course if missused they offer great danger, but since they are used a lot in today's world (cars,cell phones, computers, etc) i'm not too worried about safety issues

But the weight isn't too critical and have funds to spend i agree with the LiFePo, in my project i have little space to the baterries, so Li-ion is the way
Old 17th September 2013, 11:57 PM   #14
gmarsh is offline gmarsh  Canada
diyAudio Member

I don't share the same paranoia of lithium ion cells, provided cells are properly selected and taken care of. This includes:

- Keep them within a good temperature range (10-40 deg C - cell temperature, not ambient)
- Don't overcharge. I charge 4.2V lithium ion batteries to 4.0-4.1V.
- Don't overdischarge.
- Use fuses.
- Use charge balancing with multiple series cells.
- Use cylindrical cells, not bag cells. They're made by machine, a lot more consistent and a lot more durable.

Lithium thionyl chloride cells, on the other hand, scare the **** out of me.
Old 18th September 2013, 04:43 AM   #15
Lainus is offline Lainus  Finland
diyAudio Member

Okay guys, now i'm considering a 7ah SLA battery again because it's easy to get and really cheap. I most likely will upgrade it in the future but for now it has to do.

So what about the speakers, is there anyway possible that i can get as much volume from a amp6 combined with the right speakers (some 4ohm high sense speakers i suppose) ?
What would the speakers be ?
i can't find any documentation on what speakers is used in the iBox, however maybe some fullrange 4ohm PA speakers that is affordable would do ?

When i know what speakers i'm going to use i will start to make a 3D sketch in Solidworks. But i need to know what the volume of the box is going to be first.

Please keep coming with replies, suggestions and thoughts, it's really nice how active you guys are at answering on this forum.
Old 18th September 2013, 09:29 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainus View Post
So what about the speakers, is there anyway possible that i can get as much volume from a amp6 combined with the right speakers (some 4ohm high sense speakers i suppose) ?
What would the speakers be ?
Already made.

Boominator MINI (development thread) - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1
Old 3rd October 2013, 05:59 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hello guys, i'm gonna bump this thread after a few weeks of silence. I've got my amp6-basic and it's done and working. I also milled a custom heath´sink out of aluminium at work :P

Click the image to open in full size.

Now i'm going to start ordering speakers and stuff. I'm thinking of going 2pcs Monacor SP60/4 because they are so well known and V-Bro @41hz forums just completely loves them, and well, they are not expensive at all so why not give them a try. I'm thinking of matching them up with 2pcs of the Dayton ND16FA-6.

Saturnus recommended to use a 6.8uF capacitor as a HP-Filter for the Dayton tweeter, so i'm guessing i'm gonna trust him and go with the 6.8uF cap, that will give me a HP-Filter starting from about 3.9kHz.

So here's my current shopping cart at EU Audio:

2pcs Monacor sp-60/4 ND16FA-6 - Dayton 5/8 inch Neodymium Dome Tweeter - Europe Audio
2pcs Dayton ND16FA-6 SP-60/4 - Monacor HiFi bass-midrange speakers 60Wmax 4Ω - Europe Audio
2pcs EGL/6.8/50/5 - True bipolar smooth-foil capacitor 6.8uF 50V - Europe Audio (I'm not sure what caps to use since i can't really tell the difference between them)

So what do you guys think about the hardware so far?
Feel free to help with the caps and anything else, it's a open thread, every idea possible is great and encouraging
Old 4th October 2013, 09:46 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Picture Updated

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!