Need help with NC400 connection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finally found the time to install my NC400 in an existing case, which previously hosted a pair of (respectively) UCD400 AD, then UCD400 HD with HxR regulators. I posted some pics here. It has since then some holes on the top of the case to let escape heat.

It's not that I don't trust SMPS - but as I'm old fashion, I don't really trust them... so I decided to use the existing outfit, just replace the power modules.
The high voltages section remained unchanged, as the NC400 requires similar.
The missing +/-18 volts section for the NC400 has been realised with the (unused) +/-12 aux. section of the installed UcD supply HG mono power supply (and the transformers auxiliary windings).
I removed the 12V regs, so I reached a little above 18 volts, as the NC400 requires.
The NC400 has an nAMPON wire, which, according to the manual, needs to be connected to 3.3V (max.), which I presume is present on the SMPS600 device.
On the HG power supply, there are some auxilliary voltages, such as for the a LED (+/-), and a connector saying "PROT" and "ON", but they deliver only 0.15V or so (maybe they have been disconnected when removing the regs).

I connected a small speaker to the amp., switched it on, a lot of red LEDs on the NC400 went on, and I touched the nAMPON black wire to either connector described above. The amp goes on, but is very noisy when used with the ON or PROT connector, and goes on with less noise on LED (+) connector. Still some noise though.

Question is: should I make an auxiliary PSU (maybe from an old cellphone SMPSU that I have in some drawers), to "fire" up the amp?
I don't want to damage the brand new modules, and I want the best solution; so if somebody went already through this, please give advise.
I'm eager to listen to it! (somebody said it's the best sounding amp on earth... ).

Thanks,
-dan

Dump I am

Dont you just reference nampon to ground? That's how I roll
Thanks, AJ, that was it... :headbash:

Well, I should take my motto on the bottom of my messages for me.

But honestly, I didn't find any indication of connecting it to the ground (although the wire is black... as any ground wire).

Maybe I should change the brand of my beer...:spin:

-dan

I still haven't been brave enough to try building a linear supply for the NC400- haven't actually felt like I need to - as much as I dislike SMPS as a rule the Hypex one seems pretty good and seems to drive the amp well.
On the "if it ain't broke - dont fix it" line I've focused my PSU efforts elsewhere.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.