Budget Class-D amp, what modules?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in need of 4 channels of clean good sounding power for a DIY OB-speaker.

I do not need a lot of power, but 50+ decent watts will do.

What amp and technology should I be looking at?

I was looking at something like two 2 x 50ASX2 Icepower modules, but where can one buy them?

Last edited:
Hi,

I own a Roomplayer II that use a 50ASX2 module for the amplification.
Sound is very good with lots of details, much better than my otter TAMP a Poppulse T150 using a TA2024 chip.

50ASX2 modules are normally not sold to diyers, but you can find sometime them on Ebay. There is also a FS thread on diyaudio :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap...0asx2-500a-250a-modules.html?highlight=50ASX2

I'm planning in a few month to build a 4 channel amp with this modules.
For now i have to finish integration of my Najda DSP card.

You may need a input stage for those amp, as shown in this thread, pictures are from icePower 50ASX2 Designer manual document.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/232671-icepower-50asx2-build.html

best regards,

Last edited:
I understand you sceptisism and I have had issues with my connex amps (startup noise), but build quality and sound quality are good. I can't compare to Icepower, but I always have a Panasonic SA-XR50 or 55 on stock. These are with Texas Instruments class d modules, and I use them for back-up and as a reference to my DIY.

You should be able to pick-up a SA-XR50 or 55 for less than 100$

I understand you sceptisism and I have had issues with my connex amps (startup noise), but build quality and sound quality are good. I can't compare to Icepower, but I always have a Panasonic SA-XR50 or 55 on stock. These are with Texas Instruments class d modules, and I use them for back-up and as a reference to my DIY.

You should be able to pick-up a SA-XR50 or 55 for less than 100$

Ok. I just feelt B&O Icepower is more safe. Known brand and all, but I am having a hard time grasping exactly what an input buffer is, why I would need one and where to build/get/place/use them. Newbie and so on...

Icepower have input impedance - around 10 kohm i think. As long as you preamplifier have low output impedance (below 1 kohm) you should be safe. Many amplifiers have input impdance much higher than 10 kohm, and therefor the output impedance of preamplifier is not that important. Tube preamplifiers can have very high output impedance, and will be a bad match for Icepower - here you will need af buffer.

There is a 1/10 rule saying that input impedance of amplifier should be ten times larger than output impedance of source/preamp.

I second the TPA3116D2 amp module. $17 for 50w/ch. Also available is the TAS5630 which has a 4 ch version at up to 150 w/ch.

Seems to good to be true, are these really that good for mere 17$? 1 kg of cheese costs about that much here!!

I tried reading the thread linked to above, but it was hard to really grasp things, it was a bit cluttered.

Questions:
I need only the board and some sort og powersupply - what kind of power supply?

How do you use the board, sitting open on a desk (Danger of power-shock??) or is there some sort of cabinet to fit them in?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.