Helder TA2024 Bluetooth amp - detecting when audio cable is connected

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

I have one of these Helder TA2024 Bluetooth amps which will be going into a boombox (Qubinator).

TA2024 MKV Bluetooth Tripath Amplifier 2X 15 Watts 12V Fully Finished | eBay

As you can see, it's already got a 3.5mm stereo input jack soldered onto it. I found that Bluetooth only works when there is no cable inserted into this jack, which I guess is logical since there is no other way for the amp to know which audio input source to use (Bluetooth vs. audio cable).

Since the boombox will have it's own 3.5mm stereo jack (mounted on a dish), my original plan of connecting the boombox's jack to the amp's jack won't work, since that would mean a permanently-connected cable into the amp's 3.5mm stereo jack, which means no Bluetooth.

So, would the best option be to desolder the amp's 3.5mm stereo jack, and simply mount it on the boombox dish, with hookup wire connecting the jack to the solder pads, therefore retaining all the jack's original connections?

Or is there another way to achieve this without having to desolder the 3.5mm stereo jack from the amp?

Thanks,
Pete

I had this exact same problem! My solution to the problem was to actually block the springs inside the 3,5mm jack using some small pieces of metal and solder. This way, the bluetooth connection and the minijack are actually paralleled all the time. I had some doubts as to whether it would function properly, but after one month of use I haven't stumled onto any problems! I use the bluetooth and minijack interchangeably. When bluetooth is on but I plug a minijack in the external connector, the signal drops instantly (you can hear the bluetooth music continue, but at a very low level). I then just disconnect from bluetooth on the source unit. There is no interference from the bluetooth (that I can hear) when using minijack. The bluetooth however has a lot of noise, so it's only suitable for loud listening levels which covers it up. Some might call my solution a bit "unsophisticated", but without proper soldering tools or skills, this was my only option.

Take a look at the minijack in this picture and see if you can spot the solder.
d8cf3e97beb399e26204b75c9a9bd914.jpg

Wouldn't it have been easier to solder the pins together on the opposite side? Or have drilled a hole in the electronics compartment matching where the amp is mounted and avoid the whole problem (pun intended). As I recall the amp can be mounted vertically next to the battery so the hole would have to be in the top, or horizontally so the hole is in the side.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

As I mentioned on the Boominator thread, soldering the pins worked fine. The audio cable is now permanently connected to the amp (on the other end, it is terminated on the dish using a 3.5mm input socket), and that no longer has any impact on Bluetooth, which is always active now (it takes precedence over the input from the audio cable).

Thanks for your suggestions.

Cheers,
Pete

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.