recommendation for surrounds

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking to change my surrounds to wireless due to wife approval factor. Plan to use 2.4GHz FM to transmit to surrounds.

Each surround would have a receiver, an amplifier, a DIY crossover and drivers in the same box. Other than a cord for an AC adapter, no wires would be needed.

I was looking at several of the cheap parts-express amplifier boards, and most of them have posts on this forum about how awful they sound (but might be fixed by replacing a few capacitors, filters, etc). I don't want a case, volume controls or treble/base adjustment. I was not looking to get into DIY amps, but will go that route if I can save money, and DIY from scratch might make more sense than buying premade and then removing or swapping everything.

Any advice on what to buy and whether to try to mod it? Or should I start from scratch? Just looking to play around right now, but no point buying something I can't keep. I am doing the crossover and picking drivers (mostly for fun), so I have some leeway in how much power I need, but am thinking around 30 watts. These are surrounds only, so I'd rather put money into my mains (again DIY, but hard wired), but no point having super-good mains and super horrible surrounds. Total budget should be around $2000 with a 7.1 system, not counting the cost of my current receiver, sub and TV which I plan to keep.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.