Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2013, 04:37 PM   #1
JetFire is offline JetFire  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle area
Default DIY Boombox: First Attempt

I have an annual camping trip with some college buddies, and we need tunes. I saw the "cooler boombox" in Crutchfield's latest add and was inspired. New to the home audio game. I've dabbled in car audio since the mid-90's. So far I've built a set of Zaph's SR71 and I'm hooked.

Having a long play time is a must, I'll have 2 people to carry the boombox if needed. Depending on price, I'm interested in using solar panels to charge the batteries. I could go up to 40lbs (less would always be ok). Dimensions are flexible shooting for around 24"W x 10"H x 10"D. Currently I'm listening to the Black Keys, Les Claypool's projects, Hendrix, hip-hop stuff, and even limited Dub Step. I'm willing to sacrifice the low end for my first attempt.

Here's where I'm at:
Please give me some feedback. I choose the OS kit because I lack the modeling skills for the enclosure and don't know how to sim the XO. Is the amp I choose too big? Sufficient power supply? What would I need for battery power to last me a weekend?

Thanks in advance, I've been lurking around for awhile. I did check out the boominator, too much for me.

Last edited by JetFire; 16th July 2013 at 11:16 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 06:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Build a half or full Boominator. It doesn't get any better than that for your purpose.

Since you're in the US build it from the part recommended in the Boominator thread for a north American builders that does not have access to the p.audio HP10W yet.

It's GW1058 from parts express, and a suitable piezo replica of decent quality. If you go with the PE replicas, I advice buying twice the number you need and toss out those that aren't good.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 07:10 PM   #3
JetFire is offline JetFire  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
Build a half or full Boominator. It doesn't get any better than that for your purpose.

Since you're in the US build it from the part recommended in the Boominator thread for a north American builders that does not have access to the p.audio HP10W yet.

It's GW1058 from parts express, and a suitable piezo replica of decent quality. If you go with the PE replicas, I advice buying twice the number you need and toss out those that aren't good.
Being a noob, I'm not able to model box volume or XOs. I did look through your thread, but info is soooo spread out and varied. I won't need the 360-sound you were going for....is there a concise build log for either the Half- or Mini-Boominator I could look at? Hopefully with a parts list and diagrams.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 07:24 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Bipolar does not only mean 360 sound, it also means a whole lot more when you talk free field performance. It will be physically impossible to get anywhere near the same bass performance in a similarly compact design without it being bipolar, so, yes, you need 360 sound. Absolutely.

Everything should be in the wiki Boominator although it's not maintained by myself so I can't really say for sure. Otherwise ask in the Boominator thread, or alternatively ask on the facebook fan page https://www.facebook.com/theboominator

Look at some of the Half Boominator (aka Halfinator) builds on the facebook page and you'll pretty quickly get the idea. It's not a very complicated build, it's just perfectly engineered.

Last edited by Saturnus; 16th July 2013 at 07:32 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 08:32 PM   #5
JetFire is offline JetFire  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
Bipolar does not only mean 360 sound, it also means a whole lot more when you talk free field performance. It will be physically impossible to get anywhere near the same bass performance in a similarly compact design without it being bipolar, so, yes, you need 360 sound. Absolutely.
When you say bipolar, you are talking about the woofer configuration? Extra tweeters in the back would not be needed? Am I correct in thinking about additional output like adding a passive woofer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
Everything should be in the wiki Boominator although it's not maintained by myself so I can't really say for sure. Otherwise ask in the Boominator thread, or alternatively ask on the facebook fan page https://www.facebook.com/theboominator

Look at some of the Half Boominator (aka Halfinator) builds on the facebook page and you'll pretty quickly get the idea. It's not a very complicated build, it's just perfectly engineered.
The Wiki isn't very detailed or clear for the Mini, remember I'm new to this! I looked at the Mini's development thread and the facebook pictures, but again.......no parts list. The Mini designs are based on the Aura NS6, I didn't see a clear replacement?

I'm a fan of what you put together, no doubt.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 12:44 AM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
The mini has been abandoned. No suitable woofers exist and a halfinator will produce the same result in roughly the same volume.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 01:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFire View Post
When you say bipolar, you are talking about the woofer configuration? Extra tweeters in the back would not be needed? Am I correct in thinking about additional output like adding a passive woofer?
No. It's the entire design. If you change anything, you will get a poorer result.

The Boominator (even in half configuration) is perfectly suited and perfectly engineered for your exact purpose. Do not change anything in the design.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 12:50 AM   #8
JetFire is offline JetFire  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle area
Anyone else have any input? Am I in the wrong sub-forum?
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 07:01 AM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Well what are your premises? Ear-splitting loud or campfire background music? The OS has quite low sensitivity (83 dB 1W/1m) which means you have to settle with either low volume or a large amp. Large amp means large current consumption...
Half Boominator does not look bad if you are into high output. Otherwise this guy made something that seems ok spec'd. But not sure if you can get hold of the drivers in US:
Boombox "ghetto blaster"-design - Page 6
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 05:09 PM   #10
JetFire is offline JetFire  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle area
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduke View Post
Well what are your premises? Ear-splitting loud or campfire background music? The OS has quite low sensitivity (83 dB 1W/1m) which means you have to settle with either low volume or a large amp. Large amp means large current consumption...
Half Boominator does not look bad if you are into high output. Otherwise this guy made something that seems ok spec'd. But not sure if you can get hold of the drivers in US:
Boombox "ghetto blaster"-design - Page 6
Campfire background music with good sound quality. I'm ok with larger amps and 1 or 2 batteries. I did notice that the OS had low sensitivity..... The kit is a good price and is all inclusive. I'm considering a small sub too.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boombox diy itjack Parts 4 29th March 2013 08:54 PM
First attempt at making a boombox johnsharpe Class D 8 8th November 2011 08:46 PM
First DIY amp attempt! RTF671 Instruments and Amps 8 8th June 2008 02:22 AM
My first attempt at DIY speakers Stew320 Multi-Way 3 25th March 2002 10:40 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:49 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2