Simplest class D amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am new to building amps so go slow but I do know most of the basics about electronic circuitry

What I want to do is build a class d amplifier for my first amp and I know a class d is fairly complex and isn't something a first time DIY amp builder should start with but I don't really want to build anything less than a class d

I want to build an amp using a 9Vdc psu if possible but I could go with 30vdc or more as well but I would prefer 9vdc
Speakers I would like 4 ohm speakers but any will do as long as the sound is loud and clear and I will get the speakers to Mach but I do have 2 150w 4ohm car speakers laying around but I don't need to use them in this project
I would like between 50 to 360w 1 or 2 Chanel amp easiest is better I don't mind using a chip but any other way would be preferable but easiest is better
I would like to spend less than $50 not including psu and PCB boards
When I say easiest I mean less complex but I also mean what would sound the best without being to complex or going over $50 I don't mind going a little over budget
I would like an amp that I could combine in series or parallel withe another one or more the same to increase the sound output

Tekko. like I said I'm fairly new at amp building but what I should have said is I'm fairly new at electronics full stop could you post a link to an example of what you are saying above or explain in detail please because I am a major noob.

I'm sorry to say this, if you at "level zero" in electronics then you should not get involved yet with class-d, there is no such thing as a simple class d amplifier no matter what people here tell you. class d is collection high speed electronics design disciplines that requires a fairly solid elementary level to deep understanding
of theory and practical knowledge. have you every designed a buck convertor ? heard of frequency compensation ? designed a high speed circuit on a PCB ? Own a oscilloscope (100Mhz at least) ?

Its a tough task near impossible task to jump into.. however.

If can, buy a pre-made design with PCB and get your small toe wet. ;)

Yea I know a class d amp is very complicated but I would have liked to give it a go
If everyone recommends I start easier then I could give a class c amp a go
Answer to questions
No I have not heard of a buck converter and I googled it and could make little sense out of it except that its a dc/dc step down
Frequency compensation I googled this as well and what I got is that networks of resisters and condensers are created to reduce positive feedback but I understood little else
As for high speed circuit do you mean something like a multivibrater occilater using a 555 timer I googled high speed circuit and got something about the gsm network
I have a frequency counter but I am unshore as to wether it works correctly or not but I don't have an occilascop although I am trying to get one

I got stung a bit when I started in class d.
My attempts at a irs2092 based circuit failed badly.
I found I had to keep tracks as short as possible.
Decoupling close to IC and mosfets was vital.

Even then the 2092 wouldn't give me full power without resetting itself.
I had to scale the over current circuit to stop it resetting quite heavily.

I'm busing designing version 2 (PCB SMT design) of my inductance test fixture the current one (on veroboard) is working very good vie already confirmed the Arnold cores for my class d amplifier seems to be able to withstand 10-AMPS easily with very good linear current ramps (and reset ones) inductance and saturation currents are now exclusively examined using my storage scope 100Mhz scope.

Anyway the point is ive already learned quite alot working with experimentation circuits like these to confidently build a working and reliable amplifier using a 2092 with local buffers all SMD with CAD modeled resonance.

The reason why you are were probably getting over current reseting is probably lack of di/dt taming which can result in false spikes if im not mistaken the 2092 uses the RDSon of the mosfet to sample overcurrent.

Yea I know a class d amp is very complicated but I would have liked to give it a go
If everyone recommends I start easier then I could give a class c amp a go
Answer to questions
No I have not heard of a buck converter and I googled it and could make little sense out of it except that its a dc/dc step down
Frequency compensation I googled this as well and what I got is that networks of resisters and condensers are created to reduce positive feedback but I understood little else
As for high speed circuit do you mean something like a multivibrater occilater using a 555 timer I googled high speed circuit and got something about the gsm network
I have a frequency counter but I am unshore as to wether it works correctly or not but I don't have an occilascop although I am trying to get one
well class d isn't exactly complicated, it's just complicated to make work. :D

if you never built an audio amp before, by all means, avoid starting your journey with class d. skip the scope and dump the money on getting yourself a good soldering iron, components, and better equipment. you don't really need the scope for linear amps.

if you only require a fast track to an actual working amp, then just buy any class d module available cheaply in ebay, parts-express, aliexpress, etc. that'll save you lots of money (and headache) in the process.

but yeah, where's the fun in that.. :D

I would like to build my own amp if I wanted to buy one I could pick a 2 Chanel 300w per Chanel 4 ohm class d amp for under $100 on eBay
I would like to start with a class d amp because they sound the best and I like a little bit of a challenge and I'm only asking to copy an existing one that someone has already built and got working before what I'm saying is that if I see a wiring diagram and I do a lot of research is there a reason I couldn't try to get one to work

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Do you mean build from scratch likeTekko is talking about or build from a class D chip where you need to add external caps, inductors, resistors? If latter, look at the TPA3118D2 thread. That was my first class D and I did not even use a pcb. Point to point dead bug smd soldering. It's fugly but works and it sounds great. I think it works from 9v to 30v. 30 watts/ch 0.01% thd. The IC's are free samples from TI and the external parts are about $10. There is a 50 w/ch version called the TPA3116D2 that is really good, same size IC.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/219730-tpa3118d2-6.html#post3413886

The huge disadvantage with these pre filter feedback class d is that you have to design the output filter for one speaker impedance and have to change the output filter if you want to go from 4 ohm to 8 ohm and other other way round.

Post filter feedback ie UcD has much higher performance and way better sound quality.

Pre filter feedback class d is just not worth the time, mediocre performance at best.

I have changed my mind about the power supply and the output I would like
I would like to use a car battery as a power sorce from 9v to 18v the output I would like 150w per channel with 2 channels could anyone recommend a chip I could start of with that could achive this and isn't to complex or difficult to build it can be a class c or d amp
Please include a link to any information that would help a noob learn something about class d or c amps

I'm guessing that a class d chip amp would be easier than building from scratch so I think I will go with a chip amp any chip withe 2 channels and a voltage range between 9v and 18v
With a max output of 50 to 150w per channel with 4 or 8 ohm speakers or what ever would be recommended for speaker impedance

Do you mean build from scratch likeTekko is talking about or build from a class D chip where you need to add external caps, inductors, resistors? If latter, look at the TPA3118D2 thread. That was my first class D and I did not even use a pcb. Point to point dead bug smd soldering. It's fugly but works and it sounds great. I think it works from 9v to 30v. 30 watts/ch 0.01% thd. The IC's are free samples from TI and the external parts are about $10. There is a 50 w/ch version called the TPA3116D2 that is really good, same size IC.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/219730-tpa3118d2-6.html#post3413886

The TPA3116D2 chip amp is exactly what I would like to creat and I don't care how big it is as long as it works and can function on 9v or less to 18v or more and has 2 channels at 50w each or more

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
With 18 volt ps and 8 ohm speakers, 90% effeciency, you get the following max power:
P=V^2/R P=18*18/8=40.5, 40.5*0.90=36.5 watts. Current required is 2 amps per ch. A 19 volt 4.6 amp laptop smps brick is perfect for this.

The TPA311XD2 has no commercial pcb as of now so you will have to make your own pcb from the data sheet or build it with point to point.

If you can string 4 12 volt lead acid (car or SLA) batts in series to get 48 volts, and you are looking for 150 watts (with low distortion) and 300 watts with 10% THD, the TI TAS5630 a good choice, ready made for $70. Amazon.com: Assembled TAS5630 +OPA1632DR 300W Stereo Class-D Audio Power Amp Amplifier Board: Everything Else
You can't build it your self for less, the PCB and parts alone will run $100+.

Look what it comes down to is I whant to creat a class d chip amp that functions on 9vdc to 30vdc or more the output 2 channels anywhere from 3w to 150w each and I know that it's hard to make a class d chip amp cheaper than for what you can buy but I have nothing else to do I have exoughsted my local library of books and I have played every video game that's available to me I am board and I'm looking for something to do on weekends and in my spare time so could someone tell me where I can get a TPA3116D2 schematic clear enough to read what the other components are so I can start to work out how to build this amp and I will decide whether or not I can afford it or if its to complecated for me to build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.