Best budget Tripath board at Parts Express?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

I recently bought a Lepai 2020 amp from amazon and it was DOA. When powered up the blue light comes on and it makes a slow steady clicking from the right channel but plays no audio. I tried a couple power supplies with no luck. I opened up the case but I didn't see any obvious problems.

Anyway, the build quality on the board is pretty dismal. I'm looking to replace it with a better specced amp that will be used internally in an active speaker project. Therefore I don't need a fancy case. Browsing parts express, I see several different variations with noticeably different component selections. I'm wondering which of these is the best value for my project and will need the least modding to get a great sound from smart phone input (Yes, I've seen the great stuff at 41hz.com but it's a bit out of budget and far from the USA):

Dayton Audio DTA-2 --- $19.90
Dayton Audio DTA-2 Class T Digital Audio Amplifier Module 300-385

Parts Express AA-AB32155 (looks just like a Sure) --- $16.48
2x15W @ 4 Ohm TA2024 Class-D Audio Amplifier Board Only 320-330

Parts Express TA2024 (looks just like a Helder MkII) --- $13.80
T-Amp Tripath TA2024 2x15W Audio Digital Amplifier Board 320-600

Is there another supplier that has a much better board without costing 3x as much?

Also, when selecting a power supply, the Indeed 12V5A laptop style adapter seems to be widely praised at $16. Is there a better option for this class of amp?

Thanks!

Hey Kyle, I think that board is the exact same one Parts Express is now selling for $13.80. Looks like a great deal! I was looking for some feedback from someone-in-the-know about the components on the boards listed above. Certainly, since they are so different, there must be advantages and disadvantages to each. So you'd say the Helder design sounded better out of the box than the DTA-2?

I'm not too educated yet on the input stage capacitors but I know that some voltages are better for weaker sources like iPods & smart phones while others are optimized for stronger signals. I'd like to just buy the one that will require the least tweaking to sound good as this is simple budget project as opposed to a "tweak it till it sounds like unicorn farts" project!

Rjsaenz: thanks for the heads up on the sale. I purchased one of those amps for my mom the last time it was on sale. It sounds great on her system!

Hey,

I did have them at the same time so I can't make a true A/B comparison. I really liked the sound of the Helder hifi board. I don't think he does anything special to them as it looks identical to all the other ones for sale. I used it to drive a pair of CHR70.3s and EL70s. It works well with both of them.

There are others in the forum that will have more to say about the design of the boards.

I think I did have that indeed power supply. It worked perfectly. Both amps and PS are living at other peoples homes now.

KM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.