Need a UK Power Supply Recommendation for a T-Class Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,
Just bought one of these SMSL Amps - SMSL SA-36A 2*20W TA2020 Tripath Class T Amp Stereo Amplifier Gold | eBay

and I need some advice on a UK power supply. I believe I need a 12v 3amp to get the most out of it, but at the mo I have a 12v 1.5amp, which works. With more amps I believe I should be getting more power and bass - is that right??

These are working with my iPhone, along with a pair of Celestion F1 Bookshelf speakers.

Also any recommendations on a good cheap bargain phono to 3.5mm cable too ;-)

Thanks

Nick

Yes, 1.5 A is a little too small. However, mind hat with an Apple stuff, you probably won´t get a lot of power out of the SMSL because of the limited input signal you are giving to it, so , thanks to the big filter capacitor you have inside the box, it might do anyway.
At the moment, the only phone/player/reader/toy that could put it "with its shoulders against the wall" is the little Sansa Clip + modified with the Rockbox firmware. About 1.8 Vpp , 1kHz, 0 dB reference signal. And you can go up to +6 dB....

OK, there are two things that strike me about these speakers:

The efficiency is 88dB@1W, so with your amplifier rated at 12W into 8 ohms (I am assuming they aare 8 ohms), you will get a little over 98dB before clipping. That's not too bad, I only get 101dB, but I sit onlly 3m away from the speakers. How far away are you listening to them?

The other thing is that they only have a 4" driver, so low bass is out of the question.

If you are happy with the sound apart from the lack of bass, a trip to the subwoofers section may be in order. With a decent sub and an active crossover, you might have the sound you want. Taking the bass away from the F1s will allow you to play them a little bit louder before clipping too.

HTH,
Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.