TPA3116D2 Amp

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Do you prefer 3118 to 3116?

They are literally the same circuit. The only difference is the position of the thermal pad on the chip's package. The tpa3118 has the pad on the bottom; the intent is for the attached PCB ground plan to act as the heatsink. The tpa3116 has the pad on the top, so the intent is to use a dedicated heatsink with that chip.

In practice, I think you have to be using very low impedance loads, maximum allowed power supply, and a pure sinewave signal to make thermals an issue. Given that, I personally lean towards the 3118, since using the PCB as a heatsink allows for an overall much smaller PCB (i.e. don't have to make room for a heatsink and its mounting).

But there shouldn't be any difference in sound quality, all other things being equal.

The nicer boards

Hey guys,

I know I'm not the first one to ask this questions, but I've been reading through pages and pages of this thread about those awesome TPA3116 and TPA3118 boards, however most of it seems geared towards best cheap boards.

Are there nicer less cheap boards to recommend that would use better components and circuitry by default ? I've noted the Volt+ and found the SMSL SA-60 (not a board but a full amp) that seem to use decent hardware. Is there any other ones to recommend ?

I'm trying to replace my old TA2020 "Charlize" amp I built years ago that I loved, but now need more power.

Hey guys,

I know I'm not the first one to ask this questions, but I've been reading through pages and pages of this thread about those awesome TPA3116 and TPA3118 boards, however most of it seems geared towards best cheap boards.

Are there nicer less cheap boards to recommend that would use better components and circuitry by default ? I've noted the Volt+ and found the SMSL SA-60 (not a board but a full amp) that seem to use decent hardware. Is there any other ones to recommend ?

I'm trying to replace my old TA2020 "Charlize" amp I built years ago that I loved, but now need more power.

I'm also wanting to know this - sure there are lots of cheap $5-10 boards; but are there any great ones available for more?

Hello

I´m quite stupid with electronics. BUT I would really love to build myself a little amplifier. I tried to search and read a lot, but there is just too much content, and I cant find.

I hope someone can answer my questions.

1. I want to build a mono amp, for boombox. Speaker is Paul´s Classix II. And I want it to have good bluetooth connectivity. I cant find any mono board with bluetooth.
2. Maybe there is a build that explains connecting bluetooth module to tpa3118 60W?
3. Maybe it is possible to use 2.0 board, with bluetooth. And make it mono.

Thanks

i need some advice:
i ordered this amp here: Aiyima Assembled HIFI digital power amplifier TPA3116D2 2.1 high power board 12 24V subwoofer bass board-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

but it arrived damaged:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I msged the seller, but he doesn't want to resend. I made a dispute on alie, but the denied it based on the photos

i checked the resitance of the potentiometer, on the solder points and it goes from around 15kohm to 42 kohm on the outside legs. So it seems to be working.
But when i play music i am not able to adjust the bass frequency

So, what can i do? How can i send prove to alie