TPA3116D2 Amp - Page 952 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2016, 05:48 PM   #9511
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irribeo View Post
You have more excessive peaking below 20kHz with 30kHz filter(33uH) than with 60kHz (10uH) filter when it peaks at those frequencies. You don't have that problem when you create a near constant impedance, like the resistor you used to watch the overdamping. Speakers usually have rising impedance
10uH for 4 ohm, 22uH for 8 ohm. 33uh is likely what the mfg had on hand (no Quality control).

Yes, speakers have rising impedance and a high, sharp rise at their resonant freq.

Speaker Impedance.jpg
Old 4th October 2016, 05:52 PM   #9512
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarsh View Post
Don't connect an oscilloscope ground to a TPA output, unless your signal source and power supply are floating. Or your scope is floating. Otherwise you'll short the output through your scope.

Use a 2 channel scope, one probe on each channel, and plot the difference between the two inputs.
Haven't used a scope in ages ... don't they have an option for blocking DC (thus isolating gnds)?
Old 5th October 2016, 12:09 AM   #9513
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsgames View Post
Sorry to post 2, but TPA3116/18 is the same with very minor diff..

Hi ,

our TPA3116/18 standalone amp is ready.
http://www.allo.com/marketing/brochu...s-brochure.pdf

It has all mods incorporated...in adition we have a capacitance multiplier on board that will allow any "crappy" psu to be less than 10mV (since psrr of tpa3118 its mediocre at best)

We are looking for 5(10) people to try "free of charge" the amp , provided that you are very active on diy forums and you can show you have an interest in tpa3116/18 amps

We only request unbiased review on SQ of our amp.
My Volt+ arrived this weekend and now it's playing some nice tunes from a Dogbreath modded 5501.

Compared to my Sure TPA3110 the Volt wins on all accounts. Detail is better and the bass is more pronounced than what I'm use to with my other TPA boards.

I'm using a 12v 5a power brick which works great although I wonder if one of my Astrons might sound even better? This is the cleanest board I've seen, with no leaning caps, solder smudges or cockeyed volume control.

On the bottom is a label which reads "made in India". It's refreshing for a change to see a board made somewhere other than China.

My only complaint which has nothing to do with it's SQ is that the volume control and RCA inputs are too close together. I'll have to fashion a stem extension before I can place it in an enclosure. Otherwise this puppy is a real winner.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 5th October 2016, 12:15 AM   #9514
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice to see a fresh implementation. Capacitance multiplier onboard is unique. Nice quality components. What does a Volt+ cost?
Old 5th October 2016, 12:18 AM   #9515
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
My only complaint which has nothing to do with it's SQ is that the volume control and RCA inputs are too close together. I'll have to fashion a stem extension before I can place it in an enclosure. Otherwise this puppy is a real winner.
If you intend on putting the amp in an enclosure, why not remove the existing RCA jacks from the PCB. Then wire the PCB inputs to new RCA panel jacks on the enclosure. Then you can locate them anywhere you want.

Or a 3.5mm jack, or both, RCAs in back, 3.5mm in front wired in parallel.

Last edited by millstonemike; 5th October 2016 at 12:27 AM.
Old 5th October 2016, 12:28 AM   #9516
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millstonemike View Post
If you intend on putting the amp in an enclosure, why not remove the existing RCA jacks from the PCB. Then wire the PCB inputs to new RCA panel jacks on the enclosure. Then you can locate them anywhere on the enclosure.

Or a 3.5mm jack, or both, RCAs in back, 3.5mm in front.
Cause I'd probably screw it up.

I'd just as soon leave well enough alone.
Old 5th October 2016, 12:35 AM   #9517
diyAudio Member

Tried the Volt+ with a tube preamp which has a nice volume control but the SQ was not improved. That was not the case with my other TPA3116's which all seemed to benefit from a tube preamp.

Old 5th October 2016, 12:46 AM   #9518
diyAudio Member

I compared the Volt to this TPA3110 which is one of my best sounding TPA's and the Volt is an upgrade in SQ.

Old 5th October 2016, 01:55 AM   #9519
Jerms is offline Jerms  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

VOLT+ manufacturer site
https://www.allo.com/sparky/index-audio.html

CNX Software impressions of the Sparky and associated boards.
http://www.cnx-software.com/tag/allo/

j.

Last edited by Jerms; 5th October 2016 at 01:59 AM.
Old 5th October 2016, 07:11 AM   #9520
irribeo is offline irribeo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Buying 1000 tpa chips for us seems like a lot, but many of these chinese ampboards are produced in such numbers that for example 10.000 amps can ship instantly, and that seems to be from sources that are probably resellers.

Load is part of outputfilter (without the load it oscillates), so the load the filter was designed for is needed to check distortion. Also out of audioband noise tends to mess with distortion readings of audioband frequencies, the meter becomes inaccurate, the readings random. AES17 (I recall) is used to get reliable numbers till ~6000 Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulvio View Post
Obviously I used two probes; the waveforms displayed on the scope for each probe are in the pictures attached to post #9485: I expected to see two sine (with opposite phase), but they are really very distorted.
Their difference (CH1-CH2, that il the voltage across the load) looks like a sine, but it has a remarkable third armonic distortion (about 1.5% at 10W output power, 24V supply).
I am wondering if my board is particularly unlucky or if this behavior (and the high distortion) is common to all the other cheap TPA31xx boards.
I read hundreds of enthusiastic opinions regarding the sound of these chinese boards, but, till now, I saw very few measures.
Anyway, I believe these boards use TPA31xx ICs made in China (I saw some TPA3118 boards sold at about 2 USD, but the offical TI price for just the IC is 1.74 USD, for 1 Kunit) so their performance could be actually worse than the official TI ones.

Hide this!Advertise here!