TPA3116D2 Amp

This is what I have so far.

Until I get new pot I'll just have it on top of that box. Now on to PS testing. Laptop SMPS 19V had too much hum. Only other option I have for now is 12V but those are all low current works well for low volumes.

Speakers are Jamo Cornet 165.

P.S. sorry for bad photos.

Attachments

• tdaa3116_1.jpg
    tdaa3116_1.jpg
    656.6 KB · Views: 993
  • tdaa3116_2.jpg
    tdaa3116_2.jpg
    605.5 KB · Views: 915
  • tdaa3116_3.jpg
    tdaa3116_3.jpg
    559.9 KB · Views: 873
  • tdaa3116_4.jpg
    tdaa3116_4.jpg
    533.4 KB · Views: 855
  • tdaa3116_5.jpg
    tdaa3116_5.jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 820
The sub channel filter is a text book Sallen-Key low pass filter built around one section of the TLO74. The components, 2 x 22k and 2 x 100n, are around pins 5,6 and 7 giving a Q of 0.5 and a cut-off of 72Hz. There are plenty of on-line calculators if you need to change the values to give a different cut-off.
There is no high pass filtering for the main channels.
Have you checked the value of the capacitor in the sync circuit between the 2 chips? Have a read of my post #419 as mine had a wrong value fitted.

Last edited:
I know audiophiles like to use very expensive and high quality wires, but from my personal experience, i don't think it matters a lot, certainly not for short distances. But, as I said, that's a personal opinion (I don't want to argue on the internet again ;) )
My impression is that people with too much money and not enough time for testing buy "high quality wires". Audiophiles on the other hand knows better. (not implying that I am either)

Off topic a bit from where the thread has headed, but can anyone confirm whether the YJ 2.1 boards have a XO frequency control? All the descriptions I've read say the three pots are bass volume, treble, and volume. This unit is the only one that claims to have a XO control but it's a finished unit:

2.1 HIFI digital amplifier board TPA3116D2 HIFI beyond TPA3123 TDA2030 LM1875-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com

They should have used rca input instead of phone input. But maybe it is easy to add rca instead.

That is the same unit that I have ordered two weeks ago (although hasn't arrived yet). I chose that one mainly because it has the subwoofer frequency control. What I haven't found on any of these boards is clarification on what the slope is. Whether it's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th order I just don't know. If anyone does know, please share.

I took my TPA3116 "out in the park" yesterday, powering some 6x9 speakers in cardboard enclosures.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

used a 9V cmoy kit hacked with extra inputs as a "dj mixer" (inputs a phone and a cd walkman).

powered by a 7AH 12V deep cycle battery (in the larger cardboard box).

using this very inexpensive DC-DC converter to covert to 20VDC:
Universal CAR Charger Adapter Power Supply 4 Laptop A20 K0E1 | eBay

The 4 ohm 6x9" 93 db sens. Pioneer car speakers arent the greatest quality in the world, but the TPA3116 drove them with power to spare. People were quite amazed at the volume coming out of such a tiny unit.

Looks like the green board is gone from ebay again. Am I the only person who ordered one? Didn't look like it was selling much. Interesting, considering all the cries for a PBTL version. And it looked the best made of the bunch too. I have a feeling most buyers did not understand what they were getting for $10 more. Capitalism is a b*tch.

Looks like the green board is gone from ebay again. Am I the only person who ordered one? Didn't look like it was selling much. Interesting, considering all the cries for a PBTL version. And it looked the best made of the bunch too. I have a feeling most buyers did not understand what they were getting for $10 more. Capitalism is a b*tch.

Was it gone again? I was going to place an order this week :(. I did not want them to ship the board durign the X'mas peak season. Hmm........

Regards,

I still see it listed on ebay by audiobah - link

New TPA3116 design for review

Hello TPA311x enthusiasts,

I am working on my own design for the fun of it. Any suggestions as to configuration, ideas are welcome, to make it that much better. First version will be 2.0 (one chip), similar to the TPA3116 eval pcb but with my refinements. As with all my designs, I do it firstly for myself, as a learning experience. If a market develops, great, if not, I enjoy the fruits of my labour. I usually like to make a complete stereo with radio etc but in this case I can see this unit being used as a amp for iPod or other portable devices and as your computer desk amplifier as well. I use am currently using a TPA3110D2 in my portable radio/media player and thus am very impressed with this TI technology.

I currently have defined the following feature set
1) 3.5mm jack for single ended input.
2) Volume control
3) Quick connect bare wire speaker terminals
4) All parts from Mouser/Digi-Key except that odd ball heatsink that TI has spec'd in, for which I will find an alternative method if not available.
5) Fusing/reverse polarity/over-voltage protection
6) Standard 2.1/2.5mm pin power jack
7) Standard Aluminum Hammond Instrument case
8) Many stuffing, configuration options, important ones are set by jumpers.

I could probably offer a pcb for sale, if there is enough interest. Assembled version would be expensive, as it won't be Asian prices, to begin with, unless I mfg in Asia, which is way to early for that path at this time.

Rick

Attachments

• TPA3116-2.0pcb.pdf
    54.7 KB · Views: 251