TPA3116D2 Amp

Hi guys
Using this amp: https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...io-amplifier-board-with-bluetooth-40--325-104
One f the reviewers posted this: The board works as advertised but does have a curious design issue. The TI TPA3116D2 is set for a gain of 20dB. The preceding stage runs off a 5V supply with the operating point at 1.5V and therefore can swing only +/- 1.5V. This is not sufficient to drive the TPA to full output at > 12V supply, nor is the gain sufficient to achieve full output at full code from Bluetooth, even at 12V. This can be remedied, however, by changing and adding R13 and R15 on the board. I increased the gain to 26 dB, which works for me, but even a little more might be better.
Anyone know how to do what he is talking about? Assume I know nothing ;) Thanks in advance...

Hi guys
Using this amp: https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...io-amplifier-board-with-bluetooth-40--325-104
One f the reviewers posted this: The board works as advertised but does have a curious design issue. The TI TPA3116D2 is set for a gain of 20dB. The preceding stage runs off a 5V supply with the operating point at 1.5V and therefore can swing only +/- 1.5V. This is not sufficient to drive the TPA to full output at > 12V supply, nor is the gain sufficient to achieve full output at full code from Bluetooth, even at 12V. This can be remedied, however, by changing and adding R13 and R15 on the board. I increased the gain to 26 dB, which works for me, but even a little more might be better.
Anyone know how to do what he is talking about? Assume I know nothing ;) Thanks in advance...

Are you comfortable soldering/desoldering SMD components? Do you have a friend who is? I'd guess those resistors are the gain setting resistors for the TPA chip. Note: Too high a gain tends to result in more breakthrough of audible artifacts - i.e. hissing, crackling, digital noises.

oops!

Had my little TPA3116D2 board going strong, and last weekend, all the sudden, it just wouldn't turn on.

I tried a few different power sources, from my usual battery to computer power bricks, nothing brings it to life.

Anything I could check easily? Wouldn't want it to add to already overflowing landfills of electronic gizmos!

Attachments

• IMG_20170621_161458.jpg
    IMG_20170621_161458.jpg
    654.2 KB · Views: 868
Hi guys
One f the reviewers posted this: The board works as advertised but does have a curious design issue. The TI TPA3116D2 is set for a gain of 20dB. The preceding stage runs off a 5V supply with the operating point at 1.5V and therefore can swing only +/- 1.5V.

20dB means 10x amplification.
From 1.5V you get 15V, meaning it is enough for 15V supply (plus a bit more for decent THD).
If you check the datasheet page 14 you see what resistors you need to change the amplification.

oops!

Had my little TPA3116D2 board going strong, and last weekend, all the sudden, it just wouldn't turn on.

I tried a few different power sources, from my usual battery to computer power bricks, nothing brings it to life.

Anything I could check easily? Wouldn't want it to add to already overflowing landfills of electronic gizmos!

You can measure voltage, big electrolytics for example, volumepot has mainswitch, maybe switch is broken ?

Any idea where to install volume pot in this one? At full gain I get some hiss from the speakers, which is not so nice. I wanted to install three resistor stages instead of volume pot, to reduce the output -75, -50 and -25% respectively.

Check if you short the input, you still have hiss or not?
These amps like to hiss at higher gain.
You have to put the resistor switch before the pinput pins.

s-l1600.jpg

Any idea where to install volume pot in this one? At full gain I get some hiss from the speakers, which is not so nice. I wanted to install three resistor stages instead of volume pot, to reduce the output -75, -50 and -25% respectively.

Ideally, you would identify the gain setting resistors and set up the TI spec R1 and R2 resistors.
NOTE: These are TI resistor names, not necessarily the same numbers as on the board. You'd have to take the h/s off and trace it out.

Last edited:
P.S. adding a power conditioner before your PS will make an audible difference, for the better.
While my main 2ch system is going through some mods, I thought I'd try my old power conditioner on the Sanwu 3116 amp in the living room. Now I can't live without it in the setup! My wife, who is not an audiophile, confirmed the better quality of the sound.
I bought two boards through Amazon and have not had any popping or terrible hiss sounds that others have mentioned.

YJ TPA3116 Problem

When I power up the amp, the right speaker moves violently in and out and just thumps. The amp was working fine with added capacitance to the power section. I also had a bluetooth board on the input side. I removed the BT board and the extra caps and this is when the problem started. I can hear music from the left speaker but I shut it down quickly trying to not damage the speakers. Does this seem like I have a short in the circuit for the right speaker? How do I reset the amp chip? I have looked all over and cannot find the answer to this. I have had to reset other amps previously and found the how-to, but for this one, I can't find it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I've decided to see what all the fuss is about with the TPA3116 and determined that I want is a simple amp with no tone control or bluetooth. Best would be something ready to go immediately and the Sanwu shown in the pic is what I have found, it would just be a matter of hooking it up, as it even has the volume control. There are a couple of other similar cheaper looking ones on eBay, but this one appears to be the best and costs a little more. I could always go with the popular YJ blue board, but that would require wiring up a pot on the inputs, not a deal killer, but the extra effort might delay me getting to it for some time. Soooo, is the Sanwu going to be good enough in terms of sound quality, avoidance of hiss issues, etc or should I just accept doing a bit of extra work and spring for the blue?

Attachments

• tpa3116.jpg
    tpa3116.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 667
That board is ok.

But I would go with this:
TDA7498E 160W x2 Two Channel Audio Power Amplifier Board Module 108 x 78mm New | eBay
I have the smaller model, the 7498 (non-E) 100w*2, and without fan.

This little thing is powerful and is good for stereo and even supports bridged. But make sure you have a decent 100watt+ power adapter supply. i have a 24v 5a and its fine, perfectly loud. But if you want even more power dont skimp on that aspect.

For the sound quality, its fine. And they also sell little tone control boards based on the NE5532 chip if you want to tie that in.

Personally, I prefer the Sanwu blue TPA3118 for simple boards with no "extenders".
They're mono, so you'll need at least two for stereo operation.

https://www.banggood.com/TPA3118-PBTL-1x60W-8V-24V-Mono-Digital-Amplifier-Board-p-1095247.html

One site selling them. There are many other vendors especially on eBay. Also many cheaper clones.

JST XH terminal/lead sets for input, and either 3.5mm screw terminal (horrible) or "pluggable terminal" set for speaker output.

J.