TPA3116D2 Amp

"Sounding good" is a matter of preference, not reference.
Everyone is looking for a "sounding good" amplifier, but that's not the same "sounding good" as the other guy.
So, we like particular characteristics of an amplifier, speaker, maker, etc.

Looking at TDA7294 response curve (SG document), it as "bad" frequency response in both bass and treble (more than 1.5dB lost @20Hz and @20Khz), and that's good for some people for sure (soft, smooth sound). Others may not like it at all.
TDA2020 (and other Tripath chips) have a much flatter frequency response. Some can call it "clinical" (in a bad sense...), other may call it flat response (good thing).
TPA3116 seems to be more like Tripath chips, with flat response, at least from what I saw in YT videos (with measurement equipment).

Then... you had capacitors, inductors, resistances, etc.. all of then with their own, non-ideal, LRC characteristics - all of this components form a waveform that is never the same between different manufacturers...

Then... you have the speakers with their own, non-ideal, LRC characteristics (yes, a speaker is a inductor and we measure it in ohms... :cool:), boxes with different volumes/materials, etc...
You get the point. :)

Only recently I've tried a Lepai TDA2020+ I bought 2 year ago (don't ask me why...) on a set of JVC speakers laying around and I must say I like these combo a lot, in particular the sound stage (near-field audition) and detail ("clinical") sound.

Since these 2.5" speakers don't have real bass (<100-120Hz), I bought a TPA3116D2 2.1 board (which I haven't yet received) to add a subwoofer.
Right now, my 'subwoofer' is from a Creative Labs set of speakers and, when tamed down, creates a fantastic set.

Hope TPA3116D2 board sounds good, but it will never be same as Tripath chip - it could be better or worst, but not equal :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi guys, was wondering if anyone had trouble with Breeze audio tpa 3116 stereo amp(2016 New Latest HiFi 2 0 Stereo Output Digital Power Amplifier TPA3116 50WX2 | eBay

Mine mixes up both channels in one. When touching input of left channel (with no signal cable connected) with volume above half, it goes silent (looks like safety cutoff) and then comes back again. Checked everything, didn't find anything wrong. If anyone has idea what could gone wrong? p.s. I'm using Sony laptop power supply, 19.5v, tried also with desktop pc 12v supply, same.

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys! Can you help me figure the gain on this tpa3116 board?
I will use it to drive a 4 ohm subwoofer.
My speakers are biamped with two dual tpa3116 boards on wich I will soon change the gain to 20 db, because of the noise they give, and I want to match my sub gain to that.
The 2 resistors on the input side are marked 333 and 223 wich would be 33kΩ and 22kΩ.

Thanks!

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 722
So a capacitor exploded on a $3.20 ampboard and you decided to replace it by the $4.70 version of same producer that has two additional capacitors of the exploding type and an additional heatsink and "tpa3116" chip. Yes that will give you an impression of "tpa3116", made by them.

Despite your premature judgement of the TPA3116 dual channel board:
2*100W TPA3116 D2 Dual Channel Digital Audio Amplifier Board 12V-24V for Arduino
it actually performes a lot better than 4 other boards I have listened to (post #9212).
Sound quality may possibly be further improved by appropriate mods.
It definitively deserves a place on a list of "good quality boards" as far as I am concerned.
My experience with this board also confirms earlier posts #8060 (Ironhead54), #8147(tabbarddn), #9168(madmal) and others.

Used with the Astron SL-15R and Guanzo 6n3 tube preamp the dual chip is my current favorite. I keep it's inferior volume pot maxed and use the Guanzo to control the sound level.

My other stock boards in order of preference are the Audiobah green, Sure 3110 and the blue/black. My Sure 3116 lags far behind the others.

IMO they all benefit from a tube preamp and the $37 Sain Smart from Amazon is a match made in heaven.

P9240026.jpg

My other stock boards in order of preference are the Audiobah green, Sure 3110 and the blue/black. My Sure 3116 lags far behind the others.

you should try
sanwu tpa3118 pbtl
sanwu tda8932 mono btl
cheap black tda7498 (most likely sanwu tda7498 will be better, i will report about that in a few weeks when mine arrived)
and then make a new list.

I agree, the cheap TDA7498 is one of the best sounding amps and best value. Has volume pot, no turn on off pop, 100W. I have found no need for modding it.

$11 unbelievable value.

Online Shop Excellent Quality TDA7498 100W+100W Class D Amplifier Board High Power Amplifier Board Hot Sale Easy To Install|Aliexpress Mobile

Would you point me to a place to buy RCA cable/connector? I assume I would plug it to the white spot right next to the volume pot? Also, how can I disable the volume? I would connect my SBT DAC directly to the amp and use software volume. Thanks!

I had checked and could not find it. I posted. Rechecked and found it I guess: http://goo.gl/rqbYA1 this would work?

How to disable the volume pot question still exist:)

Last edited:
I've ordered a Sanwu (I believe) TPA3116 BT board and I have a few questions about it.
this one
It is going to be used in a Halfinator build, and I would like to add a 12-24V step-up converter and use it along with an on/off/on DPDT switch, to be able to play low volume using 12V while using less energy, and if I am going to play loud, then use the step-up converter and play 24V. Is this worth it, and would I even notice a difference in volume - and how about the power consumption using 12v compared to 24v?

I have heard it is quite noisy when connecting and I would like be able to turn down the volume while doing so, therefore I would like to add a potmeter - is this possible? The board already has vol+ and vol- buttons onboard, but since it is mounted inside, I can't reach those.

Lastly, has anyone tried improving the bluetooth range on these? I found a diy instructable saying to replace the printed antenna with a 3cm cobber wire. this

Thanks in advance! :)

I've ordered a Sanwu (I believe) TPA3116 BT board and I have a few questions about it.
this one
It is going to be used in a Halfinator build, and I would like to add a 12-24V step-up converter and use it along with an on/off/on DPDT switch, to be able to play low volume using 12V while using less energy, and if I am going to play loud, then use the step-up converter and play 24V. Is this worth it, and would I even notice a difference in volume - and how about the power consumption using 12v compared to 24v?

I have heard it is quite noisy when connecting and I would like be able to turn down the volume while doing so, therefore I would like to add a potmeter - is this possible? The board already has vol+ and vol- buttons onboard, but since it is mounted inside, I can't reach those.

Lastly, has anyone tried improving the bluetooth range on these? I found a diy instructable saying to replace the printed antenna with a 3cm cobber wire. this

Thanks in advance! :)

I'm looking forward to read about your experiences with that amp.
It looks very promising.

Seems like sanwu is taking over the whole low budget market...they made so many amps recently i would like to try.
I've spotted a TAS5630 on ebay, but shipping to germany is like 35€.
I hope it is on aliexpress soon.
...sorry for going off topic...

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Would you point me to a place to buy RCA cable/connector? I assume I would plug it to the white spot right next to the volume pot? Also, how can I disable the volume? I would connect my SBT DAC directly to the amp and use software volume. Thanks!

I had checked and could not find it. I posted. Rechecked and found it I guess: 1set New RCA Audio Input Adaptor Board with Cable for DIY Amplifier Board Module | eBay this would work?

How to disable the volume pot question still exist:)

Just turn it fully clockwise and it bypasses the internal resistor pot for a metal-metal connection. I would bother taking it out. It's functional.

If you really wanted to bypass it - desolder and remove it. Put jumpers between the middle pin to the one on the right. Two jumpers needed.

Just turn it fully clockwise and it bypasses the internal resistor pot for a metal-metal connection. I would bother taking it out. It's functional.

If you really wanted to bypass it - desolder and remove it. Put jumpers between the middle pin to the one on the right. Two jumpers needed.

Thanks! I was thinking it would do no good to the sound. If not, then would keep it. So, this cable I mentioned above and the place for it on the board are correct?

I just finished modding my two dual tpa3116 boards and put them in a case, and I am very happy with the sound.
When I received them I had a lot of noise, because of the 32 db gain, and the sound was just ok, nothing special.
First thing I did was to change the pots with ALPHA A10K, and big caps (one of them already swollen after a week of use) with Panasonic FM.
I didnt expect much but I was surprised, the mids improved a lot in clarity but that made me hear a sibilance on the highs.
Second mod was to change the gain to 20 db and put the bootstrap caps.
This made a night and day difference. The mids got even cleaner, so did the highs and no more sibilance, the music is rich and full of details and dynamics. The bass performance did not change, but that was OK anyway.

The sound is cleaner and more transparent than my old Denon PMA-320.

My speakers are biamped FAST system using Monacor spx-31m and monacor spw-150/8s, crossover is digital using Equalizer APO.

Awesome job! Looks very nice. Perhaps take it one step further and change the filter inductors and capacitors to match your 8Ohm speakers. I think stock values of that board are 10uH and 1uF (I think this is optimum for 4Ohm). It will likely improve performance even more if your in the modding mood!