TPA3116D2 Amp - Page 444 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2014, 02:33 AM   #4431
diyAudio Member

Someone could try a buffer in front (DC coupled B1?) and higher gain.
Old 18th August 2014, 03:25 AM   #4432
diyAudio Member

Here was my weekend project: putting together a little amp using the new Sure tpa3110 board. The original Sure tpa3110 board got me started down this rabbit hole of intrigue and obsession.

Nothing special about this build, just thought some might enjoy the pics. The board is stock (except for the screw terminal blocks I added). I intend to replace the stock electrolytic caps with the OSCONs (soon as they are delivered).

Have only done a minimal amount of listening so far, but I really like what I hear. I always liked the original Sure 3110 board. Might just be a case of "new gear syndrome", but right now I'd have to give this one the nod over my modded YJBlue 3116. Can't really put my finger on it, but the best analogy would be that this amp has the "blacker blacks" if we were talking plasma TVs. My only complaint with this board is that there is a power-off pop. To address that, I'm going low-tech and will just add a little rocker switch to connect the "SD" and "GND" pins. Using a paper clip right now, while I wait for additional screw terminals and a switch to be delivered.

DSC_4961-scaled40.jpg

DSC_4969-scaled40.jpg
Old 18th August 2014, 04:10 AM   #4433
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Matt_Garman,
Looks really nice there. Where do you get your cases?
Blacker blacks huh? Intriguing...
Old 18th August 2014, 05:14 AM   #4434
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_garman View Post
Here was my weekend project: putting together a little amp using the new Sure tpa3110 board. The original Sure tpa3110 board got me started down this rabbit hole of intrigue and obsession.

Nothing special about this build, just thought some might enjoy the pics. The board is stock (except for the screw terminal blocks I added). I intend to replace the stock electrolytic caps with the OSCONs (soon as they are delivered).

Have only done a minimal amount of listening so far, but I really like what I hear. I always liked the original Sure 3110 board. Might just be a case of "new gear syndrome", but right now I'd have to give this one the nod over my modded YJBlue 3116. Can't really put my finger on it, but the best analogy would be that this amp has the "blacker blacks" if we were talking plasma TVs. My only complaint with this board is that there is a power-off pop. To address that, I'm going low-tech and will just add a little rocker switch to connect the "SD" and "GND" pins. Using a paper clip right now, while I wait for additional screw terminals and a switch to be delivered.

Attachment 433691

Attachment 433692

I really like these two new boards from Sure, especially the 3116. Here's what I did with mine. With only a set of Oscons a good home made power supply, quality wire and hardware, this board has fast become my favorite by a good margine. These dark boards with dark solder mask make it hard to see exactly how everything is being implemented... maybe it's just a better match with my speakers....whatever it is, I like it a lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sure TPA3116 - KJA - Oliveros Cherry Amp .jpg (564.8 KB, 395 views)
Old 18th August 2014, 05:46 AM   #4435
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

I think we have a new Weiner here with the Sure TPA3116D2 (silkscreen error notwithstanding)? $25 is a great price for having nothing more than a pair of OSCON's to swap out.

Nice box there KJA 2013! I like the red look and it is not rectangular but curved sides.
Old 18th August 2014, 06:26 AM   #4436
jencelo is offline jencelo  United States
diyAudio Member

SURE's reply for the polarity and connector issues.

"Thanks for your letter.
I have checked the polarity with our technician and they are indeed opposite.
We feel so sorry for the inconvenience and we will modify this error in our next production.
Regards the size of power connector is 2.5mm*5.5mm. So the 2.1mm*5.5mm connector can not fit into it."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18th August 2014, 06:57 AM   #4437
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I think we have a new Weiner here with the Sure TPA3116D2 (silkscreen error notwithstanding)? $25 is a great price for having nothing more than a pair of OSCON's to swap out.

Nice box there KJA 2013! I like the red look and it is not rectangular but curved sides.
So you think the bootstraps, inputs, and inductors are really that good?
Old 18th August 2014, 07:28 AM   #4438
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Thanks! The new board fit perfectly into the little red box. I have a second sample of the Sure 3116 to try this week. I'm hoping it's just as good.
Old 18th August 2014, 10:56 AM   #4439
diyAudio Member

Default SMSL SA-36A Pro TPA3118 amp

Anyone tried other caps( 8x 470uF/25V Panasonic M electrolytic caps) in this place (FC/FM or polymer)?
Old 18th August 2014, 01:35 PM   #4440
rhing is offline rhing  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by risperdal View Post
Anyone tried other caps( 8x 470uF/25V Panasonic M electrolytic caps) in this place (FC/FM or polymer)?
In my SMSL SA-36A Pro TPA3118 amp, I first replaced the 2x 47uF/25V DC decoupling caps (not sure if these are OSCON-type or hybrid-type) with 2x 330uF/25V Panasonic SEPF OSCON caps. This made a significant improvement in sound quality in terms of articulate bass, cleaner treble and warmer midrange. The sound stage became bigger too. After several weeks, I replaced the 8x 470uF/25V Panasonic FM electrolytic caps with 8x 470uF/25V Panasonic M electrolytic caps. My preference would have been to use 4x or 6x 680uF/25V Panasonic FM caps as these have a lower ESR than the 470uF/25V Panasonic FM caps, but they were too tall to comfortably install in such a compact enclosure.

image.jpg

Never the less, the upgrade made a subtle improvement with dynamic transient response and extended bass. Also, the very slight background hiss I heard before with my ear next to the tweeter was further diminished. Overall, I am quite pleased with the parts upgrades, and I've been using this amp as an integrated amp on very warm weather days when I don't want to use my tube amps.

Last edited by rhing; 18th August 2014 at 01:48 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!