TPA3116D2 Amp - Page 35 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2013, 08:20 AM   #341
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJA 2013 View Post
They seemed like a good choice to me too, but there are so many 10uH inductors to choose from. Have you used these before?
They are used in the amp10 from 41hz. The only drawback is that they're through-hole which makes it a little annoying when designing an amp meant for having components only on one side and the reverse full ground plane thermal glued to a heatsink.

Last edited by Saturnus; 21st September 2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 21st September 2013, 08:35 AM   #342
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
They are used in the amp10 from 41hz. The only drawback is that they're through-hole which makes it a little annoying when designing an amp meant for having components only on one side and the reverse full ground plane thermal glued to a heatsink.
Luckily the physical size of the inductor is such that by bending a small foot on each lead enables the inductor to fit perfectly on this board. Wasn't sure they would fit, but they fit quite nicely.

Old 21st September 2013, 08:38 AM   #343
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesha View Post
Small TPA3110 runs filterless and sounds good, and I did not notice any problems even with my 10m loudspeaker cable. Wushuliu reported good performance and Chakija (on diyaudio.rs) tried and liked it with his Pi clone speakers. I'm no expert,maybe 3110 uses somethig else for filtering...
TPA3110 is a much smaller amp and specifically designed for "filterless" output due to a EMI suppressing modulation scheme. Filterless in this respect means ferrite beads and/or very short leads. Running completely filterless with long leads means you're sending out loads of RFI noise, and I strongly advise you not to do that.

You can also run TPA3116 with ferrite bead output filter only but it's highly recommendable to use a full LC output filter due to the increased efficiency and sound quality you achieve with a properly designed LC output filter.

You should under no circumstances run a TPA3116 completely filterless!
Old 21st September 2013, 08:49 AM   #344
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Regarding the LC filter: it is 10 uH compared to the almost 1 mH inductance of speaker voice coils I think the effect on overall reactance is minimal. If you were to drive multiways with huge coils in the XO, even less important of an effect.
Agreed. 10uH is significant when using a low Le full ranger though

It the fact its an LC, not LR or LC which bothers me. Flat impedance is actually quite important with these amps id guess. Its a downside,not necessarily a dealbreaker

Last edited by mondogenerator; 21st September 2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 21st September 2013, 09:05 AM   #345
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasicoGrande View Post
Ah yes, as I look closer at you board I see it is the same as mine.
What caps do you have in there? Looking at the first photo it looks like you have replaced them all?
They look like Wima caps.
Old 21st September 2013, 09:20 AM   #346
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
They look like Wima caps.
Yes, the red caps are .68 Wimas that are about to be replaced with some .68 ERO caps that I prefer. The grey ones are ERO and the .01 are polystyrenes.
Old 21st September 2013, 05:20 PM   #347
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The top set in this first photo, and they are also shown installed in this second photo. The lower set in the first photo are the inductors from Ice Components.
Is there a "real" sonic advantage to be had replacing the coils because the board now looks pretty ugly?
Old 21st September 2013, 06:42 PM   #348
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, the red caps are .68 Wimas that are about to be replaced with some .68 ERO caps that I prefer. The grey ones are ERO and the .01 are polystyrenes.
Are the EROs MKP or MKT?
Old 21st September 2013, 07:37 PM   #349
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
Are the EROs MKP or MKT?
I tried both polypropylene and polyester and ended up prefering the MKTs that I had on hand.
Old 21st September 2013, 08:30 PM   #350
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I tried both polypropylene and polyester and ended up prefering the MKTs that I had on hand.
Cool. Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!