TPA3116D2 Amp - Page 250 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2014, 04:55 PM   #2491
diyAudio Member

Try the ferrites for two weeks. Then switch back. You might find the ferrites were not the right choice.

I've yet to hear anything that actually sounded better with them, for any purpose. I know it's harsh and hard-lined, but seriously I always go back to without.
Old 30th March 2014, 05:02 PM   #2492
diyAudio Member

Did anyone have success with eliminating the anti-pop or anti-bump on the red JY board on turn-on? I placed a capacitor from the mute pin to the ground on the power input and that seemed to work but isn't very pretty.

Yesterday I tried the method proposed on page 172, see image below and the ground point suggested, using a 10uf 50v capacitor and it didn't work. This is a way cleaner way to mod the board so hoping there's another solution like this.

Or rather how do I locate a ground point on the board closer to the mute pin?

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 30th March 2014, 05:10 PM   #2493
diyAudio Member

Can anyone with a blue YJ board confirm if their board produces a "hiss" with no inputs connected? I'm wondering if this is a "feature" of the board itself, or if mine is "special".

Thanks!
Old 30th March 2014, 05:52 PM   #2494
Jogi is offline Jogi  Germany
diyAudio Member

Yup, I have 2 of those and both show noise, even with preamp connected. Only when the pre is switched on, noise disappears.
I tried 100k resistors from input to ground, but nothing changed.
Lets call it a feature then
Probably that is the reason for the lower price.
Old 30th March 2014, 07:07 PM   #2495
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Any amp with high impedance inputs connected to non powered sources will pick up noise or produce hiss because it is either ungrounded or not live in order to provide some input source impedance. I don't think it's unusual for the tpa3116 to do this. With preamp turned on the hiss is only audible with your ear next to the driver right?
Old 30th March 2014, 07:12 PM   #2496
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavia View Post
Thanks LoTse, I kept thinking their must be a better price performance choice than $$$ Goldpoints.
Your are welcome.

I have to admit though, the first time I looked at its picture, I "felt in love" with the Goldpoint attenuator. it looked so solidly built and all the joints are meticulously made. However, I just cannot afford it.

One see quite a number of those blue/green atenuators (usually ladder/serial type) that uses 1% resistors on EBay. The quality of the workmanship varies. Nevertheless, I read that they usually work fine. However, the stereo ones are quite bulky and take up a lot of space. The one on this link is quite compact and should fit nicely in the small chasis that I planned for my next 3116. By the way, in this website, they also has the same attenuators that have connecting wires soldered to the attachment points so they can be placed onto the PCB directly (some people like it, some don't).

Regards,

Regards,
Old 30th March 2014, 07:39 PM   #2497
BL21DE3 is offline BL21DE3  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo_Tse View Post

I have to admit though, the first time I looked at its picture, I "felt in love" with the Goldpoint attenuator. it looked so solidly built and all the joints are meticulously made. However, I just cannot afford it.
The Goldpoints are quite stunning, but like you I can't justify spending that much on a volume control. Whereas ~7 on the one in your Aliexpress link was easier to justify. Thanks agin for bringing it to my attention, I'm looking forward to giving it a go with my YJ blue board.
Old 30th March 2014, 08:16 PM   #2498
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL21DE3 View Post
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced 50K pot to go with the YJ blue board? I'm currently using a 100K Alps blue from my spare parts box, which is probably not ideal as the majority of TPA3116 boards use 50K pots.
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?vendor=0&keywords=p2g1503-nd
another option. This is another that has been getting tossed around for quality and price.
Old 30th March 2014, 08:26 PM   #2499
diyAudio Member

I'm a little confused by the acceptance of a hiss when not plugged into a source. With everyone cheering the merits of this board and also talking about just leaving it plugged in all the time. Does that mean your speakers are constantly hissing or do you just leave it plugged into something? I will be running mine off of my phone so I can't just leave it there. I'm assuming the hiss isn't supposed to be there and can be gotten rid of? I'm really just guessing as this is all really new to me.

I got my blue board hooked up last night and the noise before plugging my phone into it was awful. Sounded like a broken guitar amp or something. I assume that is from not having shielded cables yet or a poor soldering job on the wires from me.

On a side note. It had absolutely no problem driving my 8" 4ohm event 20/20's.
The rap sounded particularly awesome.

On full volume (direct from phone, no pot so not as loud) for about 20 minutes the amp started cutting out. The heat sink was almost too hot to touch.
Old 30th March 2014, 09:21 PM   #2500
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavo cadillac View Post
I'm a little confused by the acceptance of a hiss when not plugged into a source. With everyone cheering the merits of this board and also talking about just leaving it plugged in all the time.
Why wouldn't your source be plugged in all the time. That's just normal. Having a preamp with multiple inputs even more normal.

Hide this!Advertise here!