TPA3116D2 Amp

Rhing, xrk, others: what do you think about doing the inductor swap on the Sure board?

Coilcraft make a smaller low-profile (5.5 mm high) version of the SER2900 (SER1360) in 10uH max that might be an option. Low DCR and current handling seems reasonable.
SER1360-103KLD - COILCRAFT - INDUCTOR, PWR, 10UH, 7.2A, 10 | element14 Australia

In addition, for those only using PSUs rated at 16V or lower, these 470uF/16V Panasonic SEPC capacitors might be an option. Slightly higher capacitance and even lower ESR than the 330uF/25V SEPF types.
16SEPC470M - PANASONIC - CAP, ALU ELEC, 470UF, 16V, RAD | element14 Australia

Anyone see possible benefit (downside is living dangerously) in swapping out the protection diodes on the SURE boards for wire? Would need to be careful about not reversing PSU polarity at any time, but no more so than for the boards not using them.

With the OSCONs you're paying for the low ESR. Low ESR can be obtained by paralleling other, cheaper caps just it takes up more space and takes time to do the soldering. So OSCONs are rather like cake mix, more convenient than using raw ingredients :)

In this case low ESR isn't really a "goal" for PVCC power caps. It just so happens that OSCONs sound really good and are low ESR. Technically they might be better with a little higher ESR to prevent some perhaps very minor ringing.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Bootstrap snubbers added to Ybdz (Wiener)

I found out that I still had the Murata 330pF 50v C0G SMT caps and 10R 0.4watt metal film SMT resistors from my original dead bug amp BOM. However, I only had enough for one amp (or two speaker outs). Being impatient, I decided to mod half of each of my vertically integrated active biamps. I went with the mod on the full range channel and left the bass/sub channel as is. It was a little tricky to do, but there is enough room underneath the heatsink area to scrape off some varnish for ground pads. Here is a photo of one of the amps. Not the neatest soldering job considering I have too big of a tip on my soldering iron.

434238d1408604365-tpa3116d2-amp-ybdz-snubber-mod.jpg

It sounds very clean now, it helped to remove some sibilance, vocals, cymbals/high-hats, snare drums, piano, all sound better.

Here is a sound clip of the amp now with the bootstrap snubber and the OSCON's.

Attachments

• Ybdz-snubber-mod.jpg
    Ybdz-snubber-mod.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 1,156
  • 5MR450NDY-Nautaloss-Clip-07-with-snubber-oscon-S.zip
    726.2 KB · Views: 84
A word of caution: There appears an S.M.S.L. SA-36A PRO as well as an SA-36A (non-PRO) model. The PRO version is TPA3118D2 and the non-PRO version is a Tripath TA2020A amp. To make matters worse I found out that some sellers on AliExpress are selling the TA2020A units but market them as SA-36A PRO TPA3118D2.
I'm not sure whether this is due to common ignorance or deliberate scam but if you are in the market better double check what you are buying especially from less reputable merchants.
Btw. there seems to be a version 2.1 and 2.2 of the SA-36A PRO circuit board. As far as I can tell the 2.2 version has the upgraded power rail caps. I don't know if there are any other differences.

Low ESR once was Oscon exclusive, but these days wet electrolytics can even have lower ESR. Even the Panasonic FM mentioned in combination with Oscons might have lower ESR. Just weight impedance versus ESR at a lowish 100khz frequency. That said esr/impedance should not matter very much if chipdecoupling is any good?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think there are other advantages beyond low ESR with the OSCON's. They don't degrade over time like normal wet electrolytics. Whatever it is, my firsthand experience indicates that they are the single most effective upgrade I can do with a single component. At $1.80ea it is not exorbitant like some boutique caps (copper foil and paper in oil, etc) which I am almost certain will not give you this kind of immediate boost.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Word of caution with SMT snubber

I found out that I still had the Murata 330pF 50v C0G SMT caps and 10R 0.4watt metal film SMT resistors from my original dead bug amp BOM. However, I only had enough for one amp (or two speaker outs). Being impatient, I decided to mod half of each of my vertically integrated active biamps. I went with the mod on the full range channel and left the bass/sub channel as is. It was a little tricky to do, but there is enough room underneath the heatsink area to scrape off some varnish for ground pads. Here is a photo of one of the amps. Not the neatest soldering job considering I have too big of a tip on my soldering iron.

434238d1408604365-tpa3116d2-amp-ybdz-snubber-mod.jpg

It sounds very clean now, it helped to remove some sibilance, vocals, cymbals/high-hats, snare drums, piano, all sound better.

Here is a sound clip of the amp now with the bootstrap snubber and the OSCON's.

I just wanted to give a heads up that of you are doing this mod with SMT parts by scraping away varnish to expose the ground plane. Make sure you do not scrape away too much that both ends of your resistor sees ground and you inadvertently connect your 330pF cap to ground. I did this accidentally and noticed a degradation in sound quality. It is not obvious unless you use an ohmmeter to check your resistor as 10ohms after install. It will still play music but will be obvious that it sounds like it is veiled and will clip at moderate volumes on percussive strikes.

Last edited:
I think there are other advantages beyond low ESR with the OSCON's. They don't degrade over time like normal wet electrolytics. Whatever it is, my firsthand experience indicates that they are the single most effective upgrade I can do with a single component. At $1.80ea it is not exorbitant like some boutique caps (copper foil and paper in oil, etc) which I am almost certain will not give you this kind of immediate boost.

They are extreme long life. But esr is mentioned over and over again, like in 20th century. In many audio-applications Oscons are not 1st choice these days, even in circuits in which they used to be superior 15-30 years ago.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
For anyone not believing it, just try them and you will see what we mean. It is sort of like trying a $15 tpa3116d2 - you will be pleasantly surprised. There is something going on in the OSCON's that seems to perform the power rail supply filtering better and provide the current that the amp needs to deliver deep impact transients and dynamic detail that wasn't there with the other caps. It is like the instantaneous current capability is very high and the ability to absorb ripple is very high.

Some shots of differences between the smsl SA-36A PRO (TPA3118) version 2.2 board.

These film caps changed between v2.1 and v2.2, and the silkscreen + actual wiring to the output jacks is different. Could also be other differences, but those are the obvious changes. The smaller green caps might leave enough room for a nice small pot.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

With all this talk of OSCONs I went in and did mine. Lead spacing on the board is 2.5mm, and lead spacing on the part is 5mm, so some bending is required, but the overall fit is good. Sounds nice on first listen! Next up are the 8x electrolytic - will be using Panasonic FMs there.

BK

Last edited:
For anyone not believing it, just try them and you will see what we mean. It is sort of like trying a $15 tpa3116d2 - you will be pleasantly surprised. There is something going on in the OSCON's that seems to perform the power rail supply filtering better and provide the current that the amp needs to deliver deep impact transients and dynamic detail that wasn't there with the other caps. It is like the instantaneous current capability is very high and the ability to absorb ripple is very high.

My experience with OSCON few days ago has been very positive. I have not tried other tank caps for comparison (just to replace the stock caps) but can tell a huge difference immediately with OSCON. I admit that I was skeptical at first and doubted if I will hear a difference. I regretted not buying more so I can save on bulk because I do have a Sure TK2050 board that I want to put OSCONs as well. $1.8/piece is probably the highest price I have paid for caps this size but I think it worth every penny. My black/blue board sounds very accurate and refined now. Music coming out from my JBL2800 driven by the blue/black board has never been this good.

I want to get another TPA board/amp but not decided yet if I want another blue/black, the new Sure board or SMSL 36A Pro (3118 chip).