TPA3116D2 Amp

Did you ever see results that did look like predicted elsewhere on the web? Do the filters attenuate ~400khz, 30dB to 40dB? Why is 3.2 ohm above 0dB above 5khz? To me all look tricky with SMPS or computer powered by SMPS as source. What are the very high values for speakers?

Tina might sound sexy. SQ of a model :)

xrk971, thanks for posting the results of your LC filter modeling. Can you elaborate on the chart legend as to which curve correspond ls to each load? For example, do the pink curves correspond to 8 ohms?

I just received my Mouser order, so I hope to try out the bootstrap snubber mod tonight or tomorrow on the YJ blue amp. Beyond that, I should receive my CineMag input transformers today. They may have to wait until this weekend for installation.

I will also install the Panasonic SEPF OSCONs in the Sure TPA3116 amp. So many projects, so little time.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
xrk971, thanks for posting the results of your LC filter modeling. Can you elaborate on the chart legend as to which curve correspond ls to each load? For example, do the pink curves correspond to 8 ohms?

I just received my Mouser order, so I hope to try out the bootstrap snubber mod tonight or tomorrow on the YJ blue amp. Beyond that, I should receive my CineMag input transformers today. They may have to wait until this weekend for installation.

I will also install the Panasonic SEPF OSCONs in the Sure TPA3116 amp. So many projects, so little time.

Pink corresponds to the nominal 4.6ohm Re speaker that is modeled by the T/S parameters in figure above it. I forget where I got that from but it was just to represent a nominal 6 ohm speaker including effects of suspension, spider, etc that make up T/S parameters. I need to study up on this but I think the R, C, L in parallel represent the Rms, Cms, and Mms equivalent of a driver in T/S parameters. The first R and L represent the Re and Le values. So Re, Le, Rms, Cms, Mms can completely describe the electromechanical response of a driver (Sd needed in there somewhere...).

Green = 3.2 ohm fixed R
Brown = 8 ohm fixed R
Dark Blue = 16 ohm fixed R
Teal = 32 ohm fixed R

Last edited:
Output Filter Capacitors

I am about to place an order from mouser to modify my Yuan-Jing blue black board and am having some trouble locating the exact output filter capacitors.

I found "Wima FKP, MKP, and MKS for .68uf, 10nf, and 1nf output filter caps."

Could someone help with with part #s and quantities of each value.

BTW, my stock blue/black does not sound as good (and cost more) than the red board I ordered a while back and gave to a friend. I'm hoping the mods will help. Power is from a 19v laptop supply.

Thanks for any help!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I am about to place an order from mouser to modify my Yuan-Jing blue black board and am having some trouble locating the exact output filter capacitors.

I found "Wima FKP, MKP, and MKS for .68uf, 10nf, and 1nf output filter caps."

Could someone help with with part #s and quantities of each value.

BTW, my stock blue/black does not sound as good (and cost more) than the red board I ordered a while back and gave to a friend. I'm hoping the mods will help. Power is from a 19v laptop supply.

Thanks for any help!

It is more critical (in this order) to upgrade these first I think:

1. main power supply caps - Panasonic 330uF 25v SEPF OSCON qnty 2
2. bootstrap caps - TDK (or similar) x7R ceramic 220nF 50v qnty 4
3. (add) bootstrap snubber caps - AVX (or similar) 330pF 50v qnty 4
4. (add) bootstrap snubber resistor - 10ohm 1/4watt thin-film qnty 3
5. 3.3uF (16 v min) film or ceramic input caps qnty 4

Thanks for the quick reply xrk. I had already put a bunch of components in my basket based on the wiki, but did not know about the bootstrap snubber caps and resistors. Is this ok for the resistor - Mouser 754-RR0306R-100-F?

As for the input caps I have the 1uf mkp10 and 10uf panasonic from the wiki. Is the 3.3uf a better choice?

For the inductors I chose both the Bournes and the Coilcraft (994-SER2915L-103KL). I remember reading the Coilcraft is better but harder to fit on the board.

This amp is for my chr70s (BB4al) that still haven't found a permanent home, or my ff165k in BIBs. Stock the amp did not sound good at all with the fostex.

Rhing, if you are doing thesnubber mod, could you perhaps take pictures and document? That's next on my list but I am reticent to do it without better understanding of where to expose board traces and such. They last set of photos of the mod weren't that clear. Thanks.

Its really very simple especially when using SMD components. On the underside just solder the cap to the pad of the bootstrap cap that connects to the inductor with the snubber cap facing to the speaker connector end of the board. The resistor then butts up to the cap (and in line with it) and soldered together. Then at other end of the resistor scratch away a bit of the surface to expose copper and solder.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Its really very simple especially when using SMD components. On the underside just solder the cap to the pad of the bootstrap cap that connects to the inductor with the snubber cap facing to the speaker connector end of the board. The resistor then butts up to the cap (and in line with it) and soldered together. Then at other end of the resistor scratch away a bit of the surface to expose copper and solder.

A photo would be great to show this as an SMT implementation for those of us not familiar with it. Best part is that this costs less $2 in parts of you do it with SMT parts.

A photo would be great to show this as an SMT implementation for those of us not familiar with it. Best part is that this costs less $2 in parts of you do it with SMT parts.

Hopefully this makes it clear...

Attachments

• snubber.jpg
    snubber.jpg
    766.4 KB · Views: 778
Well it was some years ago I built it but lets see:
Tubes are: Sovtek rectifier tube, EI 6CA7 (EL34 equivalents), Telefunken front end tube I believe (no writing visible on it). Transcendar OPTs, B+ I think was 450v, coupling caps Russian PIO (green ones).

Thanks Chris.

Enjoy your amps and single wide-band driver speakers!

Last edited:
From KJA's excellent photo of the 3116 we can see that the inductor is 10uH so I assume it is designed for 4ohms load. However, my experience and spice sims show there will be hardly any discernible difference in SQ when used with 8ohm speakers. It has to do with maybe 1dB difference in 18khz and above range. Also, I think using 8ohm speakers with 10uH has more linear phase response according to spice model.

Thanks xrk971 for all the anwers, very informative :)

I've ordered two boards.
As writen for the YJ blue black board on post #4480 can someone summrize the suggested mods for the Sure TPA3116 board ?

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
330pF-10R
You clearly hear an improvement in SQ, real not simulated, so how does that clear and real improvement look like in your simulation model?

It has no impact on spice sim of the LC filter function that uses a steady AC sine wave analysis as input. I think audibly what you hear may have to do more with how the carrier switching transients may be affecting percussive or sibilance of female voices - essentially ringing of sharp transients? I am guesing. Maybe what needs to be simulated is temporal impulse function with and without snubber given an input that has ringing decay (sibilance).

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks xrk971 for all the anwers, very informative :)

I've ordered two boards.
As writen for the YJ blue black board on post #4480 can someone summrize the suggested mods for the Sure TPA3116 board ?

I think it is still early to say and folks are just gettig to listen to their amps to evaluate now. I am guessing if never hurts to do the power cap upwards to OSCON's. The Sure appears to have have snubber on bootstrap and pop suppression already (there are two transistors outboard). Maybe increase input cap value to circa 10uF (stay with SMT). Maybe lower gain to 20dB? Adding trafo on input always seems to be prime luxurious upgrade. It maybe that the Sure maybe close to as good as it gets stock like the SMSL 3118?

I don't have a Sure or an SMSL so cannot say.

My Mouser order came in and I replaced the stock electrolytic caps on my Sure TPA3116 amp with the 330uF/25V Panasonic SEPF OSCON organic semiconductor caps. These caps have made significant improvements with the Sure amp in many areas: tonality, scale of the soundstage, a more focused image, timbral detail, and articulation.

2014-08-20 05.19.26.jpg

One of my reference recordings is Yo-Yo Ma and Bobby McFerrin's "Hush." You can usually find a copy in the $1 bargain CD section at used music stores, but it is a gem that captures the acoustics of their recording venue. It is a very well mastered recording.

Bobby McFerrin and Yo-Yo Ma Hush.png

This along with other CDs and LPs are great for auditioning the effects of mods. Another favorite is Muddy Waters' "Folk Singer." With the OSCONs in place, the amp sounds more relaxed and musical. I don't hear that Class D etch to the sound anymore. It's smoother and more natural.

I won't say that this is now my favorite TPA3116 amp, because I haven't heard my modded YJ blue amp since the Sure amp showed up. The CineMag CMLI-15/15B input transformers came in yesterday. I'm debating whether to do the bootstrap snubber mod first or try the CineMag input transformers with the YJ blue amp. Either way, it takes some time to determine the effects of these mods, and I am by no means finished with listening to the Sure amp with the OSCONs.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Rhing,
Thanks for the update on Sure 3116 with OSCON's. Wow you went all out and replaced 6 of them :D. I forget what speakers you use, Klipsch Forte's?

Another gem I found for auditioning mods and speakers is Anne Bisson's Blue Mind. It is exceptionally mastered and has content down deep and highs with different textures and huge dynamic range. My favorite track to test is September in Montreal. Check it out on YouTube first to see what I mean and buy it later.

I have very sensitive speakers now with 95dB on fullrange tops and 99dB sub from 35Hz to 200Hz so having records with deep and low level content makes a difference. Sometimes I hear what I think is someone walking around upstairs with footsteps on wooden floor but it is background picked up in recording. It's gotten me many times where I asked myself who is walking around upstairs?

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Rhing, xrk, others: what do you think about doing the inductor swap on the Sure board? The stock ones on the YJBlue board I believe were universally acknowledged as lousy. I don't know enough to judge Sure's, other than to say they are physically smaller. I would assume that there is some correlation between size and current capacity. I measured the Sure inductors to be 10mm square. Just from eye-balling it, it might be possible to put the big Coilcraft SER2900 inductors on the Sure board, though the caps would definitely have to be moved to the bottom, and the stock heatsink replaced as well. 100% match up between board solder pads and inductor leads certainly won't happen.

Another possibility might be these Sagami 7G14A inductors; they have favorable specs and less than 10mm width.

Another gem I found for auditioning mods and speakers is Anne Bisson's Blue Mind. It is exceptionally mastered and has content down deep and highs with different textures and huge dynamic range. My favorite track to test is September in Montreal. Check it out on YouTube first to see what I mean and buy it later.

She was in attendance with us in Toronto when a company was Demo'ing that LP on their Rega equipment. I joked that it was "like she was in the room with us". <cheese> lol

Good recording I agree