Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

TPA3116D2 Amp
TPA3116D2 Amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2013, 01:16 AM   #121
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdemarco View Post
Thank you guys.

How does it compare to lm3886? Anyone?
In an previous meet of the Toronto DIY group, I have the opportunity of hearing both a chip amp (LM3886) and an amp based on TPD3116d2 (based on the reference design I think) for brief moments. To me, the TPA3116d2 was more extended at the high and low frquency end. The LM3886 chip was more "balance". Both sounded fine but a little different. I can live happily with either amp.

However, the cost difference between the two amps is quite large. LM3886 amps require a decent power supply and heat sink. The TPA3116d2 amp is cheap and all one needs is a laptop brick to run it. The performance to price ration is huge!!

My 2 cents.

Regards,
Old 28th August 2013, 01:33 AM   #122
wushuliu is offline wushuliu  United States
diyAudio Member

I have not heard any LM3886 or similar amps but after reading many threads on them over the years the overall gist I got was that 3886/chip amps need a lot of attention paid to power supply and component quality to really make them sound their best. TPA-based amps on the other hand like the TBI Millenia sound excellent with stock reference design and parts. On another forum the TBI has held its own against $$$$ amps including Pass and NCore and other very expensive gear. I have rarely read LM3886 as being at that level unless, as I said, a lot of attention (and money) is spent on power supply and parts quality e.g. MyRef, etc.

Last edited by wushuliu; 28th August 2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old 28th August 2013, 02:07 AM   #123
pdemarco is offline pdemarco  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Thank y'all.

Well I'm very excited, seems like a great new toy. Cheap, efficient and easy to work with.

I've ordered from the previous link, hopefully it is the Deluxe version. As soon as I get I'll write down my review.
Old 28th August 2013, 02:29 AM   #124
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

TPA3116D2 Amp
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
I have not heard any LM3886 or similar amps but after reading many threads on them over the years the overall gist I got was that 3886/chip amps need a lot of attention paid to power supply and component quality to really make them sound their best. TPA-based amps on the other hand like the TBI Millenia sound excellent with stock reference design and parts. On another forum the TBI has held its own against $$$$ amps including Pass and NCore and other very expensive gear. I have rarely read LM3886 as being at that level unless, as I said, a lot of attention (and money) is spent on power supply and parts quality e.g. MyRef, etc.
Don't you love it when the entire amp and SMPS brick costs less than one of the big honkin electrolytic caps on the power supply for the class A amps?
Old 28th August 2013, 02:52 AM   #125
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

I designed a portable media player containing a TI TPA3100D2 and I am very impressed. I have LM3886 parts in the drawer and I'll think they will stay there.
I think the LCD backlight draws more juice than the TPA3100D2.
I am driving the Dynaudio Geminis (4ohm MTM) and the sound is just fine. Listening to station on the FM that is at least 75miles away and is still great, just in mono @17dBuV. Modern day semi's are just spectacular.
A project I'd like to do is the 2.1 amp as in the TI eval pcb.
FYI, I am seeing some really cheap pcb's out there, un-shielded inductors = ugly and EMI noisy.
Old 28th August 2013, 12:51 PM   #126
holtet is offline holtet  Norway
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tip! Suddenly the time to think was over. Now it's time to wait for delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdemarco View Post
seems like it's going on sale today:
Assembled Stereo audio power amplifier TPA3116 2.1CHANNEL CLASS D-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com

any takers?

what power supply have you guys been using?
Old 28th August 2013, 02:32 PM   #127
von Ah is offline von Ah  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiosmuck View Post
I have been using a 24v 6.25A SMPS for the 2.0 and after reading the PS enquiry, changed to a 14V 4A SMPS and there was no loss of volume or sound degradation.
Very interesting. How sensitive are the speakers and how hot of a source signal?

I've yet to package mine up with the 20V 3A SMPS brick I have... Hell, I barely have enough time to eat, let alone play with audio toys.
Old 28th August 2013, 03:17 PM   #128
radiosmuck is offline radiosmuck  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Ah View Post
Very interesting. How sensitive are the speakers and how hot of a source signal?

I've yet to package mine up with the 20V 3A SMPS brick I have... Hell, I barely have enough time to eat, let alone play with audio toys.
I was listening to live365 24/7 Baroque internet radio (128k) connected to the new 3116 board at my usual listening level (not background).
I pulled the AC plug on the 24V 6.25 SMPS and connected the DC of the 14V 4A brick and connected the AC. There was no difference in volume but the heatsink cooled and is probably not necessary. There was no loss in volume with either CD, FM or MD
My speakers are vintage 15ohm Tannoy Yorks which really seem to suite these D-amps.
Old 28th August 2013, 04:47 PM   #129
KyleinCowichan is offline KyleinCowichan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Has anyone looked at taking the basic 2-channel board and converting it to mono 1x100w? I'm not sure it's possible, perhaps someone with a board and the Ti spec sheet can figure it out.

I am eagerly awaiting my shipment. How long did it take to get through the AliExpress?

Kyle
Old 28th August 2013, 05:01 PM   #130
radiosmuck is offline radiosmuck  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleinCowichan View Post
Has anyone looked at taking the basic 2-channel board and converting it to mono 1x100w? I'm not sure it's possible, perhaps someone with a board and the Ti spec sheet can figure it out.

I am eagerly awaiting my shipment. How long did it take to get through the AliExpress?

Kyle
It took just about a month to arrive, worth waiting for, it came very well packed.
The 2.1 board must have one chip bridged to mono 100w

TPA3116D2 AmpHide this!Advertise here!