Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

TPA3116D2 Amp
TPA3116D2 Amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2018, 10:35 PM   #10461
spartan is offline spartan
diyAudio Member

hi all, where can one buy PCB's for this amp?
Old 13th July 2018, 06:48 AM   #10462
nightmare007 is offline nightmare007  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmare007 View Post
@FauxFrench - thanks for the reply.
if removing the 100k resistors is the solution - I need you help please to understand which one I need to remove, since near every one out of four TPA3116 chip I got TWO 100k resistors ( and near 1 of them THREE 100k ).
can you please point the right one by marking on the image I uploaded ?
please enlarge to see all small details ( bottom left side button on image )
(top - all board )
Click the image to open in full size.
To continue my story, I noticed that a similar board that's sold on aliexpress got extra two 1uF (near the master vol pot ) - that don't exist on my board.

also on that aliexpress board, the 3rd & 4th coil in the coil's row ( counting from the DC input side ) is a blue (electrolytic?) coil and not copper looped coil like the rest of the coils in that row - and in my own board I got regular coil like the rest of the row.

Might either of this be the source of the hiss/ground-floor anoying noise ?
Should I add these extra two 1uF caps near the master vol pot ?

Update:
ok, crap I saw another seller on aliexpress that sell the same complete amplifier ( like mine ) BUT this board got these extra two 1uF caps near the master vol.

Last edited by nightmare007; 13th July 2018 at 06:57 AM.
Old 14th July 2018, 12:29 AM   #10463
DJDestiny is offline DJDestiny  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandolf View Post
I have the same question. I remembered somewhere that 3116/3118 SNR will degrade a little bit if switching at highest frequency (1.2M) since the switching period becomes too short, the PWM module may not be able to control the duty cycle well enough.
I doubt it. 1.2M decreases the overall switching noise by putting it high enough that the inductors would do better work of filtering the output and it's more efficient at 1.2M...

All of that would work if the inductors can handle 1.2MHz properly.
Old 14th July 2018, 01:13 AM   #10464
gandolf is offline gandolf  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDestiny View Post
I doubt it. 1.2M decreases the overall switching noise by putting it high enough that the inductors would do better work of filtering the output and it's more efficient at 1.2M...

All of that would work if the inductors can handle 1.2MHz properly.
I am not talking about switching noise. I am worried about pushing the PWM modulator to the limit. Anyway, the degradation will be minuscule.
Old 14th July 2018, 02:48 PM   #10465
spartan is offline spartan
diyAudio Member

Can anybody following this thread please tell me if and where naked PCB's are available for this amp? Thanks.
Old 14th July 2018, 06:31 PM   #10466
DJDestiny is offline DJDestiny  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan View Post
Can anybody following this thread please tell me if and where naked PCB's are available for this amp? Thanks.
You wouldn't want a unpopulated board, the underpad is very very hard to solder even if you have a hot air gun
Old 14th July 2018, 08:09 PM   #10467
doctormord is offline doctormord  Germany
diyAudio Member

The 3116 is power-pad up. Beside this I have bare PCBs for 3118/3128, with all 0402 and up component size. Needs reflow equipment to stuff and solder.

@gandolf, performance degradation is more than minuscule if the layout isn't made for that high frequency. I have meaurements made in the past if this is from interest.
Old 16th July 2018, 05:06 PM   #10468
CyberPit is offline CyberPit  Japan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eX Radikal View Post
Hello,
What is the advantage of change the switching frequency from 400kHz to 1.2MHz?

Thanks

Hi, eX Radikal-San and gandolf-San

The most big advantage is reducing the heat of inductors (but, depend on parts useable frequency limit). I checked PWM switching waveform, rise/fall time was fast enough for 1.2MHz toggle. Additional thing is some characteristic of high frequency range sound will change, such as ride cymbal or Hi-Hat. I felt 1.2MHz sound is more natural and smooth than 400kHz. That's why I decided to change the switching frequency.

HILO
Old 16th July 2018, 06:13 PM   #10469
doctormord is offline doctormord  Germany
diyAudio Member

But you'll increase the switching losses in the TPA31XX itself.

TPA3116D2 AmpHide this!Advertise here!