Building a Small Stereo Boombox. Does this wiring layout look OK?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings to all!

This is my first DIY audio build and I decided to make a small stereo boombox that I can sit on a desk or table. It's going to use a Sure Electronics 2x8w @ 4Ω Amplifier board with a 50K Stereo potentiometer to control the volume, and two Visation FRS7-4 2.5" Full-Range speakers.

I just wanted to post up the wiring layout I drew up to make sure it all looks alright seeing as this is my first project and would like to do my best to not screw it up. :)

Thanks in advance!

eeARlN8.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Beware that the speaker output marked - (minus) on your diagram may not be the same - as everywhere else. It may well be a bridge amp with floating load so don't connect the speaker - points together or to anything else.

The input grounds and PSU grounds (yes the - becomes "ground" in a single rail amp probably are the same point but check first before doing anything.

Just a thought on your choice of the TPA3110 amp.
I have built small portables with this amp and the TA2024 and the TPA3122. The 3110 does not compare to the 2024 and 3122 amps (all from Sure). With a few mods the 2024 or 3122 can sound really good in a small portable. They both work well with a 12V Lion battery pack for portability. This of course is just one person's experience and others may have some different thoughts.

I've seen other comments on the TPA3110 being sonically better than the tripath. With efficient speakers 8w vs 15w shouldn't really mean all that much. I don't have any direct comparison although I have the dayton tripath with to me sounds quite good although not quite up there with my el84 tube amp. At $10 I think I'll pop for a 3110 and see for myself.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.