Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2013, 08:40 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Hi.

MiniDsp also offers TAS5706 based amps at 60$.
You might be able to match these with the USB streamer.

I'm also still looking for a high quality multichannel SPDIF IF to feed my FDAs.

The only mulitchannel SPDIF interfaces that were acceptabe to me was an Oppo BDP extension board and the RME AES card.

But the overall pricetag kept me away from getting these.

Cheers
Old 9th August 2013, 09:41 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riotubes View Post
Hello,
New to this board. Please point me to the highest performing Digital Amp project(s) that might rival a NAD C390DD or Lyngdorf amp; those that output PWM. Thank you
I have the exact same question. I also listened to the NAD C390DD at home for a couple of months, and found it very clear, precise and detailed, but when I put my DIY Class D Audio amp back in place, I was shocked by how much better having twice as much power sounded. (My room is big and my speakers are fairly inefficient).

I was also a bit disappointed about how much energy the NAD consumes even when idle, compared to my DIY class D amp.

Hence, I would like to try to build my own version...
Old 25th August 2013, 07:55 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

any one able to audition the NAD D 7050 yet?

The specs are:
- 2 x 50 watt
- 24-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converter for playback of high-resolution digital music
- asynchronous USB input for connecting a computer (up to 24-bit/96kHz resolution)

Would it have been that much more expensive to build 32-bit/386kHz capability for the spdif and usb?

If and when folks listen to this, I'd be curious about comparisons to the C390DD (which I've auditioned).
Old 28th August 2013, 04:31 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Also minidsp offers the icePower 125 with the dsp.

PWR-ICE125 | MiniDSP

It has a digital input, can be controlled through Ethernet. A very interesting candidate.
Old 2nd September 2013, 10:18 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to egberttheone
The Zetex chip is not available for DIY(not even the datasheet), I have build a full digital amp (I2S to PWM) based on a TI chip and it sound awesome and is very efficient.
I have also build this amp with the sta308 and it had a high noise floor.

Edit: I think Zetex offers the best performance at the moment.
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:34 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to egberttheone
I found this also: looks very intresting. DDFA®: CSRA6000? & CSRA6001?
Old 5th September 2013, 02:16 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

In March 2012, CSR acquired UK-based capabilities in digital class D audio amplifier technology from Diodes Inc of Plano, Texas, trademarked as DDFA (direct digital feedback amplifier). Diodes, Inc. acquired Zetex who developed DDFA.

This is the technology inside the NAD C390DD, the device I referenced when starting this thread. Perhaps CSR will make this available to DIY? I'm still curious about the NAD D 7050 which has the same trickle down technology.
Old 13th September 2013, 02:05 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riotubes View Post
any one able to audition the NAD D 7050 yet?

The specs are:
- 2 x 50 watt
- 24-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converter for playback of high-resolution digital music
- asynchronous USB input for connecting a computer (up to 24-bit/96kHz resolution)

Would it have been that much more expensive to build 32-bit/386kHz capability for the spdif and usb?

If and when folks listen to this, I'd be curious about comparisons to the C390DD (which I've auditioned).
I got turned on to the direct digital concept through Soundcheck's blog and posts here and elsewhere, and purchased a D7050 last week, after having heard a C390DD at a local showroom a couple months back. Since they were in different setups and different rooms, I obviously cannot compare head to head, but the sound quality is very similar: silent, black background; deep, precise soundstage. I purchased a Wadia 151 also with the intent of comparing and keeping the one I preferred. My preference is definitely the NAD--fuller bass and deeper soundstage in my setup. I wish I had some way to measure the performance objectively. (Might still try out a NuForce DDA-100 for comparison too, not sure. I might just decide to keep the NAD, stop comparison shopping, and enjoy the music.)

My equipment: Monitor Audio Silver 5i, SB Touch, Blue Jeans Cables digital coax.

I'm very, very pleased with the D7050, and happy to answer questions. I don't have a lot of time to dive into a detailed post right now, but will try to respond to any questions in a day or two. I'm also on Audio Asylum and Audio Circle, if you want to move the discussion (since this isn't really a DIY topic.)
Old 16th September 2013, 02:14 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Hi riotubes,

It is unlikely that you will get a digital amp or any other amp to sound like your 300B. For the simple reason that you are running a high efficiency (probably) full range. The key is the output impedance of your amplifier. Tubes will have significantly higher impedance.

You can read in firstwatt.com. articles by nelson pass particularly on F1 amplifier. If you are using a solid state amp with generous amount of negative feedback, you will be overdamping your speakers and they will sound thin. You can reduce this by adding a resistor in series with the output. Prob around 1 to 10 ohm. Get a mundorf or parallel a few vishay dale. Meaning to try that with my t amps but didn't have the time.

Oon
Old 20th September 2013, 02:05 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig in SD View Post
I got turned on to the direct digital concept through Soundcheck's blog and posts here and elsewhere, and purchased a D7050 last week, after having heard a C390DD at a local showroom a couple months back. Since they were in different setups and different rooms, I obviously cannot compare head to head, but the sound quality is very similar: silent, black background; deep, precise soundstage. I purchased a Wadia 151 also with the intent of comparing and keeping the one I preferred. My preference is definitely the NAD--fuller bass and deeper soundstage in my setup. I wish I had some way to measure the performance objectively. (Might still try out a NuForce DDA-100 for comparison too, not sure. I might just decide to keep the NAD, stop comparison shopping, and enjoy the music.)

My equipment: Monitor Audio Silver 5i, SB Touch, Blue Jeans Cables digital coax.

I'm very, very pleased with the D7050, and happy to answer questions. I don't have a lot of time to dive into a detailed post right now, but will try to respond to any questions in a day or two. I'm also on Audio Asylum and Audio Circle, if you want to move the discussion (since this isn't really a DIY topic.)
Hi Craig,

Is the 7050 using the Zetex technology? Any chance you can post photos of the unit internals?

Hide this!Advertise here!