Which SMPS? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2013, 02:21 PM   #1
Djioul is offline Djioul  France
diyAudio Member

Default Which SMPS?

Hello gents,

I'm currently running a hypex multichannel amplifier, and I do have a little bit of HF noise through the tweeters.
I'm using connex SMPS300R and Hypex 180HG.
After a lot of efforts to clean the wiring, use the right ground connexion, the right modulation cables, etc, things are much better that when I started, but I can still hear this small HF noise when I'm close to the tweeter (not anymore from listening point however...).

I was just thinking : do you thing an Hypex SMPS would be better over the connex and help to reduce this HF noise?

I did not put any metal protection around the SMPS yet (faraday cage), would that help as well?

Thanks in advance for your precious help.
Old 27th May 2013, 06:39 PM   #2
ssanmor is offline ssanmor  Spain
diyAudio Member

Our Coldamp range of SMPS have very low EMI and spread-spectrum modulation for lowest noise, specially designed to be used with Class-D amplifiers, even when they have no defined oscillation frequency such as UCD and hence cannot be synchronized. I invite you to have a look at them. For the UcD180 you may go with our smallest PSU SPS30 and could feed 3 or 4 of them with no problems.
Old 27th May 2013, 07:31 PM   #3
Banned

I'd stay away from the coldamp smps as i've heard reports that they tend to go unstable and blow up.

Instead i recommend the connex/hypex smps.
Old 27th May 2013, 07:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Excuse me? Instable? Blow up?
For your information our PSUs are extremely stable and highly underrated (they can deliver much more power than commercially stated) and they are used even in military applications requiring the highest standards of reliability and not just with the nice load that audio represents, operating in extremely harsh environments (high temperatures, vibrations, sudden overload and removal of load, etc). For years, not a single failure.

Come on... always the same.

Last edited by ssanmor; 27th May 2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 27th May 2013, 08:13 PM   #5
Banned

Now that was a few years ago so i cant really commend about your later model power supplies, but the earlier models apparantly could sometimes go haywire if the mains exceeded 230VAC, i know a guy in scotland that had bought a smps from you and had it go up in flames, and the cause was that you the manufacturer never tested to make sure the smps would work and remain stable at 240VAC according to him.
Old 27th May 2013, 09:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Our units are designed for 230V +/-10% as required by regulation (the same for the lower range setting) and work within those limits without issues. They meet or exceed safety regulation.
We have found several cases of misuse of the audio PSUs sold to general public, and in every single case we have been reported a failure (they are very, very few, believe me), the cause has been an abuse.
We did have an issue with a defective capacitor in the very few decens of units (we have sold thousands so far) that was corrected under warranty. That's all.
Old 27th May 2013, 09:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Our units are designed for 230V +/-10% as required by regulation (the same for the lower range setting) and work within those limits without issues. They meet or exceed safety regulation.
In every single case we have been reported a failure in any of the audio PSUs sold the general public (they are very, very few, believe me), the cause has been an abuse/misuse. We try to cover all possible abuses to the PSUs but that's not always possible.
We did have an issue with a defective capacitor in the very few decens of units (we have sold thousands so far) that was corrected under warranty. That's all.

Believe me, our PSUs may not be the cheapest ones, but they are rugged. Anyway you can choose among a wide variety of weaker ones, but most of them are "toys" compared to ours.
Old 28th May 2013, 12:21 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanmor View Post
In every single case we have been reported a failure in any of the audio PSUs sold the general public (they are very, very few, believe me), the cause has been an abuse/misuse. We try to cover all possible abuses to the PSUs but that's not always possible.

Believe me, our PSUs may not be the cheapest ones, but they are rugged. Anyway you can choose among a wide variety of weaker ones, but most of them are "toys" compared to ours.
Your claims sound very confidant i dont doubt you however i browsered though your website and it needs some work to make it more attractive, by profession im a software developer and i can tell you the reason why you have such a "underrated" response is cause your website design is bad, and you need more detail on your products i just checked out the smps below it looks good but the details is to nebulous for users.
Connexelectronic

In an age where processes are becoming more complex human user interface interaction is the most important entry point to any system.
Old 28th May 2013, 02:28 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

SMPS have very low EMI,to avoid acoustic noise problems the minimum PWM frequency is set above 18KHz, and the over-voltage protection is triggered when VDD reches OVP It has debounce time to prevent false trigger by switching noise
Old 28th May 2013, 05:29 PM   #10
Djioul is offline Djioul  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekko View Post
I'd stay away from the coldamp smps as i've heard reports that they tend to go unstable and blow up.

Instead i recommend the connex/hypex smps.
OK, I know nothing about coldamp but if I get you right, there should be no differences between connex and hypex, so no reasons for me to change.

I'll carry on digging out possible issues explaining this very minor noise through the tweeter then.

Thanks for the feedbacks to you all.

Hide this!Advertise here!