Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2013, 11:52 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default TPA3123 "componentless" board

While ordering a sample from Texas Instruments (PGA2310) I noticed a link to the TPA3123 page so after having a glance at the datasheet I decided to order also 3 samples of it to "play" with class-D amp.
Some time later I realized that its package is a HTSSOP24 and for an hobbyst like me who makes PCBs using the "Press & Peel sheet" method, it's probably very difficult to print such SMD footprint.
Anyway, I can solder it since at work I have an hot air solder station.

Does somebody here know where to buy (if available) "bare" board for that IC?
I only found already assembled board.
Thank you, best regards.

Roberto
Old 21st May 2013, 08:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You might want to look for the TPA3122 - same chip essentially but non surface mount. There are easy (and cheap) kits on eBay from Sure for those.
Old 21st May 2013, 09:36 PM   #3
danzz is offline danzz  Spain
diyAudio Member

I Just recieved some boards from Itead for the TPA3118... They Look great but I still havent started with them...

Here is a link to their shop...
pcb shop
Old 22nd May 2013, 11:39 PM   #4
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

They sell "break out boards" for various smd ic's There/are links in the TPA3118D2 thread. Great sounding amp by the way.
Old 22nd May 2013, 11:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

You can easily print out with a resolution capable of handling 0.5 pitch parts as I do regularly. The hard part is coming up with a repeatable and consistant method to transfer this to the PCB. I use the photo resist method with print outs done by a laser printer onto standard transparencies. I have a wiki entry on DIYaudio detailing how you can go about this.
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:12 AM   #6
gmarsh is offline gmarsh  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'd hit up Seeed Studio Bazaar, Boost ideas, extend the reach and get 'real' PCBs made for the amp. $10 for ten 5x5cm double sided boards with silkscreen and solder mask.
Old 23rd May 2013, 02:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks all for the replies.
I've read the TPA3118 thread and found the link to an adapter TSSOP24 pin to DIP, I think I will go that way...for less than 20 Euros (shipping included) I could buy 3 adapters.
A question: if I mount the TPA on the adatper, all the components are on the "main" board (standard component, not SMD) so the decoupling cap (100 nF) won't be close to the IC as suggested on the datasheet.
May this cause some problems?
Old 24th May 2013, 12:40 AM   #8
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

It may cause problems if too far away. Use smd caps and solder it to the trace close to the IC on the adapter board.
Old 21st June 2013, 09:01 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Another question: reading the datasheet, TI suggests to design a "thermal pad" underneath the chip so that it can dissipate heat using the PCB as an heatsink.
The TSSOP-to-DIP adapter doens't have that "thermal pad", should I use just a bit of thermal compound under the chip? Or...?

Hide this!Advertise here!