Which T-amp and which speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am very carefull with electronics and would not use it if it was a problem my case never gets hot ive opened it up to have a look at the components no problems at all it would shut itself off if there was overvoltage I play it about 6 hours a day for the last couple of weeks and no problems maybe im lucky :)

Ok then, I guess 16V is probably the maximum in the 'safe zone'. :D It's weird, they say "the internal parallel a large filter capacitor 10000uf" while the pictures show 2 capacitors of 4700uf. I think I'm going to buy the Indeed New Indeed Class T Amp Tripath TA2021 25WX2 Amplifier Improved 20000 MFD Cap | eBay, which seems to be also very popular on eBay! It seems to be decently builded with nice components, which is important for me since I never soldered anything in my life so modding is out of the question. :D

yes any of the newer model amps are great I posted somewhere else that I have a Marantz pm6004 and denon pma 520ae amps and my little darling ta2021b amp beats the pants of them both for sound quality best £35 ive ever spent on audio equipment.just get 1 then come back and tell me how fantastic the sound is(I know you will):)

Speakers with T amp

Try mating your T amp with JBL Control One speakers. These guys are smallish in dimensions and would be an aesthetic match to the T amp size too. SQ wise, you may be taken aback with its clarity, reasonable volume and smoothness.

I have been using these speakers with a Topping TP20 (2020) since the last two years and have never regretted ... for its VFM sound. This is coming from a person whose main rig is Transmission Line FS with a powerful Krell 400xi integrated. :D

Taking the SMSL SA-S1 to another level

I've been enjoying my SMSL SA-S1 TA2020 T-amp for almost five months, and I recently decided to try a different power supply. For my Sonic Impact 5065 Gen 2 TA2024 amp, I had purchased a PowerOne MAP110-S148 110W switching power supply and stuck in about seven 2,200uF/50V Panasonic FM low ESR electrolytic caps in the second stage filter. This power supply served me well when I used it with my Sonic Impact 5065 Gen 2 T-amp, and with my Arjen Helder TA2020 MkIII T-amp; however, I never could get over some low level noise and distortion when I drove both amps hard. I finally got around to pulling it out and soldering on a Switchcraft 2.1mm ID x 5.5mm OD DC power connector to the twisted pair of 19AWG Kimber TCSS hook-up wire that I use for the DC power cable. I turned the adjustable output pot to bring the output voltage to 13.4VDC. The results were immediately noticeable:
  • Deeper soundstage with a more three dimensional image
  • Frequency extension at both ends of the spectrum
  • The treble had better definition with greater air
  • The bass was stronger, tighter and more balanced with the mids and highs
  • The tone and timbre of vocals and instruments were more natural and warmer
If I didn't know any better, this was the closest I've heard a T-amp mimic a tube amp. Keep in mind, I had also evaluated a Virtue Audio Two T-amp with a stepped attenuator. My Klipsch Forte II's sound great with this little $55 gem.

2013-10-12 10.06.38.jpg

I was so impressed, I told my buddy across the country about it since he bought one of these T-amps too. He purchased a Mean Well RS-100-12 SMPS and wired up a similar DC power cable. He can verify the vast improvements that a higher quality -- ~13.5VDC and 6A -- SMPS can make with this amp.

Now I wonder what a decent regulated linear supply with 13.8VDC and 5A would do with this little amp. Has anyone tried such a power supply like the Astron or Pyramid regulated linear supplies typically used for CB radios?

I've been enjoying my SMSL SA-S1 TA2020 T-amp for almost five months, and I recently decided to try a different power supply. For my Sonic Impact 5065 Gen 2 TA2024 amp, I had purchased a PowerOne MAP110-S148 110W switching power supply and stuck in about seven 2,200uF/50V Panasonic FM low ESR electrolytic caps in the second stage filter. This power supply served me well when I used it with my Sonic Impact 5065 Gen 2 T-amp, and with my Arjen Helder TA2020 MkIII T-amp; however, I never could get over some low level noise and distortion when I drove both amps hard. I finally got around to pulling it out and soldering on a Switchcraft 2.1mm ID x 5.5mm OD DC power connector to the twisted pair of 19AWG Kimber TCSS hook-up wire that I use for the DC power cable. I turned the adjustable output pot to bring the output voltage to 13.4VDC. The results were immediately noticeable:
  • Deeper soundstage with a more three dimensional image
  • Frequency extension at both ends of the spectrum
  • The treble had better definition with greater air
  • The bass was stronger, tighter and more balanced with the mids and highs
  • The tone and timbre of vocals and instruments were more natural and warmer
If I didn't know any better, this was the closest I've heard a T-amp mimic a tube amp. Keep in mind, I had also evaluated a Virtue Audio Two T-amp with a stepped attenuator. My Klipsch Forte II's sound great with this little $55 gem.

View attachment 378303

I was so impressed, I told my buddy across the country about it since he bought one of these T-amps too. He purchased a Mean Well RS-100-12 SMPS and wired up a similar DC power cable. He can verify the vast improvements that a higher quality -- ~13.5VDC and 6A -- SMPS can make with this amp.

Now I wonder what a decent regulated linear supply with 13.8VDC and 5A would do with this little amp. Has anyone tried such a power supply like the Astron or Pyramid regulated linear supplies typically used for CB radios?
Hi,
have you tried FM radio with your SMSL SA-S1? The RF interference produced by the one I have just kills fm reception.

I understand that air core inductors do not effectively filter RF interference produced in the T-amp circuitry. I don't listen to AM/FM radio, except when I am driving, so it is not an issue for me. In the meantime, I am enjoying the SMSL amp, which has produced the best sound quality of any T-amp I've owned.

Ultimately, I do prefer the sound of tube gear. My main system consists of a restored Kenwood PC-400U belt/idler drive turntable (similar to Thorens TD-124) with a Talisman Alchemist 2B MC cartridge, an Audio Research PH5 phono stage, an Audio Research LS7 line stage and an original Dynakit Stereo 35 that I restored and modified with Dave Gillespie's EFB and power supply module. The SMSL T-amp gives me 90% to 95% of the performance of my tube amp system for less than $100 including the upgraded SMPS, especially when it runs with my PH5 phono stage. I would consider this T-amp an incredible audio bargain.

Having lived with a wonderful modded Dynaco 35 that is about the highest praise I have ever heard for any T amp!

The T-amp doesn't have the bloom and sweet EL84 tonality, but it does produce warm tone on its own. I love my Stereo 35 and I have a couple Dynaco SCA-35 amps as transformer donors to build a couple Stereo 35 clones. Shannon Parks just came out with his ST-35 boards with accommodations for adding EFB.

Compared to my vintage Sony TA-3060 and heavily modded Adcom GFA-535 SS amps, the SMSL beats them hands-down. Both SS amps have a warm and smooth presentation, but the SMSL has better separation and it reproduces the soundstage in greater size. Keep in mind I am using 98dB sensitive Klipsch Forte IIs, which match up well with the lower powered T-amps. I think speaker pairing is a key to getting the most out of a T-amp.

Going back to the issue of RFI, Michael Mardis developed a shielding mod using Copper foil for the Trends TA-10.1 T-amp for attenuating some of the RFI radiating from the stock air core inductors in the output filter. I haven't had a need to do something similar with the SMSL SA-S1, but it is an option for reducing RFI.

I urge you to try a TDA7297, $6 shipping included. Connected to my old Tannoys it sounds wonderful, better, to my ears, than SMSL-S1.
I cannot compare my Quad II outfit, it's been 30 years since I had them connected, I have forgotten. The 7297 sounds better than the McIntosh ss amp it replaced.
I gave up with tubes, I was always sniffing the air for burning (grin)

I urge you to try a TDA7297, $6 shipping included. Connected to my old Tannoys it sounds wonderful, better, to my ears, than SMSL-S1.
I cannot compare my Quad II outfit, it's been 30 years since I had them connected, I have forgotten. The 7297 sounds better than the McIntosh ss amp it replaced.
I gave up with tubes, I was always sniffing the air for burning (grin)

Is there any particular TDA7297 amp module to purchase?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.