Bridged setup with 2 class D amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My question is whether it is possible to "bridge" 2 amplifiers together effectively creating double the voltage amplitude.

I just bought a couple of these amplifiers:
2 x 15 Watt 4 Ohm Class D Audio Amplifier Board TA2024 15W Stereo Mini T Amp | eBay
When running from a 12V source there's no reason to buy 2*100W amps or similar, because it wont be able to deliver a fraction of that.. However I thought that when having 2 of these amplifiers it might be possible to connect them in a sort of bridged mode..?
I'm not really sure how this can be executed, but I've made a drawing of my idea :)

Can class D amplifiers be "bridged" like this? Will the setup actually work? Any better ideas? :p

Attachments

• wiring.png
    wiring.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 456
Better would be to buy a bigger amp in the first place.

However, as an exercise it will be an interesting thought experiment.

If these were transformer isolated outputs then it would be easy.

To implement this idea with BTL amps, you would have to insure that both boards had isolated supplies AND isolated audio feeds.

Supplies would be relatively easy...you would still have some capacitance between them...unless you use separate batteries.

The audio could be fed via transformers or some kind of complicated optical isolation.

What will be happening is the "grounds" of the amplifiers will be pushed and pulled away from each other by the output drive circuitry. The output circuitry might not like that.

So, it could be done but not really recommended. (by me anyway)

:)

i'm bridging all my speaker amps. including the 4 channel class d amp to drive the sub.

all amps could be bridged, unless they're already bridged.

My question is whether it is possible to "bridge" 2 amplifiers together effectively creating double the voltage amplitude.

I just bought a couple of these amplifiers:
2 x 15 Watt 4 Ohm Class D Audio Amplifier Board TA2024 15W Stereo Mini T Amp | eBay
When running from a 12V source there's no reason to buy 2*100W amps or similar, because it wont be able to deliver a fraction of that.. However I thought that when having 2 of these amplifiers it might be possible to connect them in a sort of bridged mode..?
I'm not really sure how this can be executed, but I've made a drawing of my idea :)

Can class D amplifiers be "bridged" like this? Will the setup actually work? Any better ideas? :p
it won't work like that. you need a balanced signal to bridge an amp. or you need to invert the signal for the second amp.

check whether the amp is already bridged by checking the speaker ground output is connected or not to the amp ground connection. might need to do this during operation as the output might not be connected by speaker protection circuit during power off.

Bridging already bridged amplifiers is not recommendable.

Much easier to buy an amp that runs high voltages and use 2 batteries in series or a dc-dc converter to get that higher voltage.
bridging already bridged amplifiers are not just unrecommended, it's not even possible. most amps running of very low power supply is already bridged like the tripath based chips.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.