Big Class D Recommendations - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2013, 01:58 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Big Class D Recommendations

I am looking for suggestions on what amp to buy that will power adequately a TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 sub driver. I have done a bit of reading and it appears that it will take virtually anything you can throw at it.

One quote stating ďAnd like a fat kid at christmas dinner, it'll be looking for 3rds and 4ths !!!!!Ē

It seems from specs that I have seen that it will take 2000w for a couple of hours and up to 8000w peak. I donít want to buy any bigger than I need, but then again I donít want to buy anything too small, so I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Obviously this is not a cheap driver so I donít want to cheap on the amp either, but I am looking for value for money.
Old 26th April 2013, 06:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have flicked off an email to Hypex to see if they can build / offer something in this range. Would be nice if they could gang perhaps 4 x NCore 1200 units together.
Old 26th April 2013, 07:09 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Do you have the TC Sounds driver yet mate? You know there is now an Aussie supplier for these (The Loudspeaker Kit)

Amps ... well that's, big. I think most would recommend pro amps mounted out of the way for this application though, and they're pretty right, DIY for something of this power level is not for the faint hearted.

A slightly more modest amp option might be Aussie amps Class AB nxV800 or nxV1200 powered by an SMPS. I have 2xnxV203 powered from a coldamp SPS80 SMPS with two bridged channels in each nxv203 'module' powering L/R subs and the third channel in each powering my front L/R speakers. My subs are 12in peerless 830500, so obviously they're not after the same amount of power as you're talking, though sometimes I wonder if they could do with a bit more than 300W, though I'm more inclined to build a 3rd sub (15in LMS-R or a dayton ultimax 15 are the two I'm thinking of at the moment)
Old 26th April 2013, 07:31 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Screamer View Post
It seems from specs that I have seen that it will take 2000w for a couple of hours and up to 8000w peak.
Only if used in a cabinet with constant ambient temperature. In actual used cabinets it could easily be half or less.
Old 26th April 2013, 10:59 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

From the data, I can see, the 5400 is only about 0.575% reference efficient ;-( For the same SPL like with my 18NLW9400, you need almost 6 times more power (!). Not so great, but at least they are not cheating and stating clearly that it does only 89.7dB 1W 1m into half sphere.
But I could not find an AES power rating. What is AES power rating for this transducer? 2000W?
Also, this one being 4Ohms, it is difficult to use am amp in bridged mode, as most of them "prefer" 8 Ohms in bridge. No advertisement, but I ve heard, UCD 2K can produce >3kW into 4 Ohms as a full bridge running off a (stable!) 185Vdc source.
Other options would be, for example, Hoellstern Delta 7.2 in bridge or Crown IT-9000HD in bridge (not soo cheap but good)....
Old 27th April 2013, 05:05 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Another option is the minidsp plate amps - PWR-DSP1 | miniDSP
Old 27th April 2013, 10:02 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
Another option is the minidsp plate amps - PWR-DSP1 | miniDSP
Looks interestingÖ seems to tick all the boxes I need, LP and HP filters, EQ, time and phase adjustment and a fairly healthy power rating.
Is this the same minidsp I hear been mentioned often on this forum?
Having never seen it or heard it, I would appreciate any feedback anyone else might have to offer before placing an order for one.
Old 27th April 2013, 10:46 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

The SpeakerPower SP1-6000 looks fairly promising as well. Would need separate minidsp but has better power potential.
Old 27th April 2013, 11:13 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I forgot to mention that Powersoft K series or K-DSP series can give you some serious power into 4 Ohms bridged as well as DSP processing capability using only 1U height.
Old 29th April 2013, 04:21 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Any takers on this? Crown XTi 6002 XTi 2 Series Power Amplifier 245-411

Edit:
Just spotted PE has the 4002 @ $999. 3200w into 4 ohm bridged. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=245-409

Never used a Crown amp before but I have heard of them. They seem to have a reasonable reputation.

Last edited by Silent Screamer; 29th April 2013 at 04:26 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!