Big Class D Recommendations - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2013, 04:55 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Neither have I. I am a happy Behringer user (NU3000, NU6000). I'm the guy that removes the fans ... well it works on the NU3000, not the NU6000. Love them or hate them, I don't think you can find a cheaper "PA" class-D that works fine, as far as I can hear. And at about 1/3 the price you gave.

Last edited by Soldermizer; 29th April 2013 at 04:58 AM.
Old 29th April 2013, 04:57 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

The price is not a concern, in fact I was looking at dearer amps, but I am looking for an amp that will provide better than average sound quality and performance.

$1000 for an amp that has inbuilt EQ is plenty cheap enough, what I want to know is if there is a clear performance winner at a reasonable price.
Old 29th April 2013, 09:53 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

"Any takers on this? Crown XTi 6002 XTi 2 Series Power Amplifier 245-411"

I do have exactly this amp in my rack. 2000USD seems a good deal since here in Europe the usual price is >2300EUR (although I paid less).
2 x 150V internal bus will give you about 96Vrms per channel into 4 Ohms (both channels driven!) or double that voltage bridged into 8 Ohms - class "I", balanced current topology. I never have tested it into 2 Ohms (or 4 Ohms bridged) - actually my application is putting ~2400W into 16 Ohms in bridge mode for high damping factor / high quality.
The DSP is best programmed with a Windows tool called "BandManager" via USB. It is quite easy to learn. After programming the different setups, the user programs can be recalled on the front display w/o any computer connected and the amp will remember the setup that was last running when power was disconnected.
I am actually just programming two setups for my BR subs: One for best low frequency extension at lower SPL levels (boost below the BR tuning frequency and lowcut at 40% below tuning f allowing for some wild stroke), the other one for max SPL with boost at the tuning frequency and lowcut just 15% below.
Old 29th April 2013, 10:43 AM   #14
tusker is offline tusker  Kenya
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaTom View Post
[Crown XTi 6002]
I never have tested it into 2 Ohms (or 4 Ohms bridged)
Well, it's just hearsay, but if you read about the XTis in PA forums, running them bridged is exactly what one doesn't want to do to a XTi, nor to any other of Crown's amps with a 'X' in the designation. For reliable bridged operation you should look for the I-Tech HD Series. They are not really cheap though, but there's a reason for that. Since the 'price is not a concern' for the OP, I thought I point that out.

Once again: This is just hearsay, I don't own a XTi, so I take no responsibility for any of the above statements.

Last edited by tusker; 29th April 2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 29th April 2013, 10:53 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusker View Post
Well, it's just hearsay, but if you read about the XTis in PA forums, running them bridged is exactly what one doesn't want to do to a XTi, nor to any other of Crown's amps with a 'X' in the designation. For reliable bridged operation you should look for the I-Tech HD Series. They are not really cheap though, but there's a reason for that. Since the 'price is not a concern' for the OP, I thought I point that out.

Once again: This is just hearsay, I don't own a XTi, so I take no responsibility for any of the above statements.
Well, you mean bridging into 4 Ohms you should n t do on XTI6002, because the Power supply may be too weak for 6000W output power. Thats exactly why I didn t propose it for the 4 Ohm 5400 sub at first. Only after it was mentioned, I stated clearly, that I am using it bridged into high impedance 16Ohms where it does a GREAT JOB. Also, using a big 8Ohms power resistor, I was able to draw 4250W in bridge mode for some seconds until the resistor got red-hot smoking. So down to about 8 Ohms, I 'd guess, it can be used bridged. 4 Ohms is maybe a liitle too much for this amp to eat (although they advertise for it).
Old 29th April 2013, 11:47 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

what about the 4002 - 3200w into 4 ohm bridged. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=245-409

3200w should be enough and perhaps the PSU would be big enough???
Old 29th April 2013, 12:17 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

The 4002 is a linear type Amp and does not belong to this sub-forum.
Old 29th April 2013, 12:20 PM   #18
tusker is offline tusker  Kenya
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaTom View Post
Well, you mean bridging into 4 Ohms you should n t do on XTI6002,
Yes of course, I was referring to your statement about 2 Ohms (or 4 Ohms bridged). Sorry if that sounded like a general statement about bridged operation.

Quote:
I am using it bridged into high impedance 16Ohms where it does a GREAT JOB.
No doubt about that! The XTis are great amps for their price, I would even say 'unbeatable', it's just the 2 Ohms load which gives them headache.
Old 29th April 2013, 03:08 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

"No doubt about that! The XTis are great amps for their price, I would even say 'unbeatable', it's just the 2 Ohms load which gives them headache. "

Generally, you should always use double the minimum specified load impedance or greater to have good damping factor and clean sound. If the supplier says the amp can do 2 Ohms, use it for 4 or 8 Ohms, If they claim stable operation into 1 Ohm (like some Hoellstern units), use it on 2 or 4 Ohms.
That is like having 200 horsepower in your car, but only using half of it, (e. g. keeping the rotations per minute low) to make the motor more reliable and long-life.
Old 29th April 2013, 10:43 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Would it make any difference if I drove each of the voice coils separately with 2ohms? Since the driver in question is effectively 2 x 2 ohm voice coils.

Could I add some resistance to each of the VC?

Last edited by Silent Screamer; 29th April 2013 at 10:51 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!