class D 1000 watts peak

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My latest project 1000 watts class d amplifier.
1000 watts into 4 ohms with +/- 60 volt supply.

It uses basically the irs2092 datasheet circuit but with transistor gate drivers.

The only complication is the addition of a PIC microcontroller to control the shutdown pin.
If the VCC goes below 15 volts the 2092 is shutdown by the PIC.
I found with large power supply capacitors I got huge thumps or siren type noises on power down.
I notified IR of the problem and they said that I had done the right thing adding a simple PIC reset circuit.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
an interesting project.

looks like it's not bridged. have you tried measuring voltage drop across the rails during high power? my current ir2110 seem to drop quite a lot. the rail stables after i bridged them.
and mind to ask how much inductance you're currently using?

an interesting project.

looks like it's not bridged. have you tried measuring voltage drop across the rails during high power? my current ir2110 seem to drop quite a lot. the rail stables after i bridged them.

I cant measure the rails at high output current as I don't have a speaker large enough.
The inductance is around 22uH.
There is quite a bit of carrier left on the output so I might need to increase the inductance or capacitance a little.
It sounds Ok though.

I'm more into microcontrollers then analog electronics..

What type of problems did you have?

If you have very large capacitance on the 2092 supply rails as you switch off the reset circuit doesn't cut in in time and you get a huge thump or siren type noise through the speaker.
The PIC measures the 2092 VCC voltage and if it drops below 15 volts it holds the 2092 in reset.

If you have very large capacitance on the 2092 supply rails as you switch off the reset circuit doesn't cut in in time and you get a huge thump or siren type noise through the speaker.
The PIC measures the 2092 VCC voltage and if it drops below 15 volts it holds the 2092 in reset.

I think what happens the "rate of change" that the supply filter caps discharges is too slow for the ADC or what ever I/O you using on the PIC to detect logical "power off state"

You can use the PIC to measure power off immediately using a "loss of AC detector" detecting power down using a tap from the transformer or just don't use a PIC and use a relay with the same method i described.

an interesting project.

To test it I am just using a 2 amp transformer.
The rails do sag about 15 volts when driving it hard but that's to be expected with such a poor supply.
It really needs a 100VA transformer not a 200VA.
It is very loud even on the small transformer.

I found the VCC supply was dropping out at full power so I reduced the dropper resistors although this probably wont be needed on a 1000VA transformer.

I think what happens the "rate of change" that the supply filter caps discharges is too slow for the ADC or what ever I/O you using on the PIC to detect logical "power off state"

You can use the PIC to measure power off immediately using a "loss of AC detector" detecting power down using a tap from the transformer or just don't use a PIC and use a relay with the same method i described.
using a relay does sound much simpler compared to PIC. i'm also using a simple AC detector drawn from the transformer tap to a diode and small filter cap to detect AC loss.

To test it I am just using a 2 amp transformer.
The rails do sag about 15 volts when driving it hard but that's to be expected with such a poor supply.
It really needs a 100VA transformer not a 200VA.
It is very loud even on the small transformer.

I found the VCC supply was dropping out at full power so I reduced the dropper resistors although this probably wont be needed on a 1000VA transformer.
i'm guessing it'll still sag with a large transformer. it's fundamental to all class d.
previously i'm using 500VA toroid and it still sag ~10V during heavy bass scene. adding more rail capacitance, rail decoupling caps and changing the layout doesn't improve much, until i bridge them.

now they hardly sag anymore. during intense bass scene they still go down 1-2V but that's it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.