Tk2050 : Sure Vs HifiMeDIY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey , looking at getting some variation of the tripath tk2050 amp to power some PA speakers from batteries on the go..

Was simply wondering whether it'd be best to go for the SURE branded ones, such as:
2 X 100W Class D Audio Amplifier Combo Kit w 24V 350W Power Supply TK2050 | eBay

or the HiFimeDIY ones such as:
Hifimediy T1 ALPS vol pot TK2050 STA510 MUNDORF CAP

The Hifimediy ones have the T1 or the T2 available, one which is said to give a higher rms power at 4ohms and the other at 8ohms.. Which seems strange as I've never seen an amp which gives a higher power at 8ohms before.

What are the differences here? Any recommendations? Wiring them up is a little daunting.. I've also heard that sometimes the sure amps don't give maximum power without modifications? Can anyone comment on this?

Many thanks..

I have had both the Sure and the T2 TK2050 Hifimediy.

Check out my thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/215600-sure-2x100-vs-hifimediy-t2-comparison.html

I have moved on to a Pass F5. The F5 is better in most respects than both the Sure and the Hifimediy. But the TK2050 T-amps are not far behind. Especially in the bass department.

What the T-amps lack compared to the F5 is treble extension and an organic feel that the pass f5 has that's hard to describe. The T-amps always seemed right on the edge of breakup to me, regardless of volume/gain. It's almost like comparing a fine B/W film image to a digital image. There is a richness to the F5 that the tripath do not have. But in general they sound great. Better than any other amp I've had with the exception of the F5. They will definately impress you for the money.

I've found the input caps to be critical w/the tripath amps. I used Jantzen slivers and it was worth it. Also, they are no where near advertised wattage. Felt more like 20ish watts to me. And when they break up it is nasty.

When I first purchased a Lepai 2020 amp about 9 months ago I thought they were pretty amazing and upgraded to to a more expensive 2020 version for comparison.
I have since purchased a Sure AA-AB32186, a Muse TPA3123 and a TDA7297 finished boards.
The TDA7297 was the least expensive at $6 and is the one I like the best. Unlike the F5, it has a heatsink the size of a box of matches and it remains cool but does not look cool, far too simple looking to be any good.

QUOTE=Hikari1;3493896]I have had both the Sure and the T2 TK2050 Hifimediy.

Check out my thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/215600-sure-2x100-vs-hifimediy-t2-comparison.html

I have moved on to a Pass F5. The F5 is better in most respects than both the Sure and the Hifimediy. But the TK2050 T-amps are not far behind. Especially in the bass department.

What the T-amps lack compared to the F5 is treble extension and an organic feel that the pass f5 has that's hard to describe. The T-amps always seemed right on the edge of breakup to me, regardless of volume/gain. It's almost like comparing a fine B/W film image to a digital image. There is a richness to the F5 that the tripath do not have. But in general they sound great. Better than any other amp I've had with the exception of the F5. They will definately impress you for the money.

I've found the input caps to be critical w/the tripath amps. I used Jantzen slivers and it was worth it. Also, they are no where near advertised wattage. Felt more like 20ish watts to me. And when they break up it is nasty.[/QUOTE]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.