Amp in a Can - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2013, 02:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
audiosteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Niwot, CO
Default Amp in a Can

I wanted a power amp that I could use as a PA amp for gigs or a party amp in the backyard or for block parties. It had to be easily portable and lightweight. So I came up with this. The chassis is a surplus military ammunition can about 11" b 8" by 5.5". It it has a lid that can open and it has a HANDLE for easy portability. I chose to go the easy route and used pre-assembled ICE Power 200 ASC Class D modules that have built in universal switching powers supplies.
One end of the box has the audio connectors and LED indicators, the other end has the power connector. It can accept balanced XLR, Balanced 1/4" TRS, unbalanced 1/4", unbalanced RCA and unbalanced 1/8" stereo (iPod) inputs. Outputs are Speakon and five way binding posts. The IEC power connector also has an on/off switch and a fuse. Other than still being in need of some paint touch up, I'm pretty pleased with the result. Here is a picture and a link to a captioned photo album.

Amp In A Can Photos by audiosteve1 | Photobucket

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
Nihilism is best done by professionals.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 07:09 PM   #2
gmarsh is offline gmarsh  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
gmarsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Halifax, NS, Canada
Really digging the choice of enclosure. Handy, waterproof (until you poke holes in it), durable, easy to find..
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Except this is not a can, its a box A can is round and cylindrical :P
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 11:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
audiosteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Niwot, CO
I can think off something else that is round, too, oh pedantic one. Starts with an a and people often sit on it.
Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
Nihilism is best done by professionals.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 11:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
nigelwright7557's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Carlisle, England
I use PC cases for my amp projects.
I rip out the power supply leaving the mains socket intact.
I use the fan mountings for LED fans which gives a good effect.
__________________
PCBCAD50 software. http://www.murtonpikesystems.co.uk
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 10:10 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Powell River, BC Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
I use PC cases for my amp projects.
I rip out the power supply leaving the mains socket intact.
I use the fan mountings for LED fans which gives a good effect.
Cool idea using old PC cases - Have any photos of completed amps? Also what is an LED fan?

Thanks,
Rod
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 10:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
nigelwright7557's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Carlisle, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwboater View Post
Cool idea using old PC cases - Have any photos of completed amps? Also what is an LED fan?

Thanks,
Rod
I use new pc cases, I picked one up with power supply for 20 on ebay.
The cost of new amplifier cases is extortionate.

An LED fan is a 12 volt pc fan with LEDs around it. The LED's cycle on and off to give different colours.

It doesn't look much different as an amplifier.
I put the input and output sockets on the front panel.
__________________
PCBCAD50 software. http://www.murtonpikesystems.co.uk
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 12:19 AM   #8
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member
 
xrk971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Virginia
Can we see inside of the can?

A little off topic.... It's funny that we call it a can because when I used to go whitewater rafting, some rivers prohibit human solid waste from being left behind the river or banks as you went. We would actually use military surplus ammo boxes to take a cr@p in and bring it all the way to the end where it was disposed of properly. Pretty disgusting but same type of "can" was used as a can.
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 12:53 AM   #9
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Can we see inside of the can?

A little off topic.... It's funny that we call it a can because when I used to go whitewater rafting, some rivers prohibit human solid waste from being left behind the river or banks as you went. We would actually use military surplus ammo boxes to take a cr@p in and bring it all the way to the end where it was disposed of properly. Pretty disgusting but same type of "can" was used as a can.
Boy, hanging around this forum is really educational - I learn something new today
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 12:59 AM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Powell River, BC Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
I use new pc cases, I picked one up with power supply for 20 on ebay.
The cost of new amplifier cases is extortionate.

An LED fan is a 12 volt pc fan with LEDs around it. The LED's cycle on and off to give different colours.

It doesn't look much different as an amplifier.
I put the input and output sockets on the front panel.
Great idea, and the prices really are great compared to amp cases! I've considered making wood cases, but am concerned about fire hazard and lack of the good all around grounding of a metal case. Would hate to have a fire in the house to just save a little money on an amp case.

Your fan must be a trip to watch - is the display related to the music?

Cheers,
Rod
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modify & build out (2) Western Electric 300B / 2A3 Hammond monoblock amps & UTC LS-5 quality sound Tubes / Valves 0 9th May 2009 03:59 PM
Krell KSA 80 bias & dc offset check & adjust procedure Clouseaupte Solid State 3 9th August 2007 09:39 AM
DIY-AMP <ZAS> Low THD & IM high bandwith murphy Solid State 18 30th December 2005 10:28 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:25 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2