DPS-500/D & CD254 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2013, 10:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Italy
Send a message via Skype™ to giannettino
Lightbulb DPS-500/D & CD254

Hi to all
i'm not new there, but i'm not a really diyer..i'm used to build some kits..just for try and for my amusement..but nothing really made from scratch..
Ok..i've a multiamp diy system and, usually, i drive my woofers 18Sound with my Nuforce Ref 9 SE V3..but..problem..i've blown one for my stupid mistake..so.. no music??
Luckily i had a couple of ClassDaudio CDA-254L Kit stored at home..so..assembled as bridged mono amp tested..go!!
Click the image to open in full size.
Aarrggh... music was almost unlistenable..bass is slooooww..bloomy..flown..uncontrolled...a real tragedy..
Well...i've purchased new pcb frm my reseller Nuforce and, in the meanwhile..i've changed the original psu in the kits with a couple of Audiopower dps500/d..
Click the image to open in full size.
Ohh..now all is ok.. bass is firm..fast..articulad but very rich...in one word..perfect at my hears...
I've listened at this sytem for many weeks..and i'm very happy..i will be happier when I receive my sda 400 too..for sure..( Already tested on my twetters Hi RT2Pro)..But...i've repaired my Nuforce..they now works perfectly..but i've stll in my setup the strange combo CDA-254/DPS500D..The Nuforce hare still on my rear system..really a luxury surround i think .. For sure the envelopes for "la strana coppia" are quite audiophiles..
Click the image to open in full size.
Of course..IMVHO..this is a real big upgrade/improvement for this little , cheap, and red amp...
Ehi..someone need a couple of Heavy Duty DC Power Supply complete with trans .. ??
THX for patience..and, as usual, forgive my terrific english ..it's just for sharing
Grazie
Gianni
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2410poljiot2.jpg (39.1 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2290poljiot2.jpg (60.4 KB, 570 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (47.6 KB, 55 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 07:05 AM   #2
AP2 is offline AP2  Italy
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
woW! showing a customer a product AP...is an event! hehe!
thanks for sharing.
P.S. I'm sorry, I have a little note, the dc output wires, do not look good.


Regards

Roberto
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 11:20 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Italy
Send a message via Skype™ to giannettino
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2 View Post
P.S. I'm sorry, I have a little note, the dc output wires, do not look good.


Regards

Roberto
I Know was recycled wire..and temporary i hope
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 12:36 AM   #4
HiroPro is offline HiroPro  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by giannettino View Post
Hi to all
i'm not new there, but i'm not a really diyer..i'm used to build some kits..just for try and for my amusement..but nothing really made from scratch..
Ok..i've a multiamp diy system and, usually, i drive my woofers 18Sound with my Nuforce Ref 9 SE V3..but..problem..i've blown one for my stupid mistake..so.. no music??
Luckily i had a couple of ClassDaudio CDA-254L Kit stored at home..so..assembled as bridged mono amp tested..go!!
Click the image to open in full size.
Aarrggh... music was almost unlistenable..bass is slooooww..bloomy..flown..uncontrolled...a real tragedy..
Well...i've purchased new pcb frm my reseller Nuforce and, in the meanwhile..i've changed the original psu in the kits with a couple of Audiopower dps500/d..
Click the image to open in full size.
Ohh..now all is ok.. bass is firm..fast..articulad but very rich...in one word..perfect at my hears...
I've listened at this sytem for many weeks..and i'm very happy..i will be happier when I receive my sda 400 too..for sure..( Already tested on my twetters Hi RT2Pro)..But...i've repaired my Nuforce..they now works perfectly..but i've stll in my setup the strange combo CDA-254/DPS500D..The Nuforce hare still on my rear system..really a luxury surround i think .. For sure the envelopes for "la strana coppia" are quite audiophiles..
Click the image to open in full size.
Of course..IMVHO..this is a real big upgrade/improvement for this little , cheap, and red amp...
Ehi..someone need a couple of Heavy Duty DC Power Supply complete with trans .. ??
THX for patience..and, as usual, forgive my terrific english ..it's just for sharing
Grazie
Gianni
You have done EXACTLY what I was going to do last year using Robertos SMPS with Class D audio's IR based amp modules.

HOW DOES IT SOUND !?!
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 12:41 AM   #5
HiroPro is offline HiroPro  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
giannettino I'm not surprised at your results.

I had a conversation about PSUs with Ed Meitner some years ago and also Kingwa about his power supply designs and this experience reaffirms what the gurus had to say.

I can't imagine what the original MDS amp modules were like using that SMPS and Class-D MXD. I think it's worth paying Bruno his IP to have that original design of the amp modules IF it's design used Bruno's IP in some of the circuit as a lot of us speculate.

Last edited by HiroPro; 19th March 2013 at 12:48 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 12:59 AM   #6
HiroPro is offline HiroPro  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2 View Post
woW! showing a customer a product AP...is an event! hehe!
thanks for sharing.
P.S. I'm sorry, I have a little note, the dc output wires, do not look good.


Regards

Roberto
Are you guys ever going to make a DPA-400/F-3 with NA mains ?

I really think you're missing the NA market not making a 120V version Roberto.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 12:59 AM   #7
HiroPro is offline HiroPro  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Can a DPA-400 F3 owner speak out perhaps ?

  Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 06:31 AM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Italy
Send a message via Skype™ to giannettino
Hello Hiro..
as stated, i uso these amps in a multi-amp environment..so, used in the low unit..the 15" linked above..the play very good..Yesterdey i've enjoyed the new Bowie's album.Wow..a lot of deep electric bass..Very good performance again.
I plain to prepare suitable enclosures..then some test with full range speakers..
Ciao..
P.S: My name is Gianni..no way to change my Nick??
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 03:23 PM   #9
AP2 is offline AP2  Italy
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiroPro View Post
Are you guys ever going to make a DPA-400/F-3 with NA mains ?

I really think you're missing the NA market not making a 120V version Roberto.
Hi HiroPro,
It's not official but I know that Audio-Power (new eng.team) working right on "DPA-400/F-3" (only this version) for "direct" VAC 110V-130V with same special performances at output of amplifier Vs. load.
"Direct" mean it not use a duplicator in high voltage filter. this mean that not use a serial big capacitors as others smps when switch at 110V.

regards

Roberto
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 04:27 AM   #10
HiroPro is offline HiroPro  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by giannettino View Post
Hello Hiro..
as stated, i uso these amps in a multi-amp environment..so, used in the low unit..the 15" linked above..the play very good..Yesterdey i've enjoyed the new Bowie's album.Wow..a lot of deep electric bass..Very good performance again.
I plain to prepare suitable enclosures..then some test with full range speakers..
Ciao..
P.S: My name is Gianni..no way to change my Nick??
What do you use for an active xover ?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DPS-600 fast regulated smps for Wire-Amp AP2 Power Supplies 160 19th November 2013 09:18 AM
FS: The Wire amplifier with DPS-600 power supply igor0203 Swap Meet 4 13th March 2013 06:15 AM
HYPEX NCORE NC400 and AUDIOPOWER DPS-500/S Power supply atoluma Swap Meet 5 15th February 2013 09:24 AM
DPS-500 Innovative Power supply for Audio AP2 Class D 17 19th November 2010 01:37 PM
NHT sw10ii vs Velodyne DPS-12 Evan Robinson Subwoofers 4 29th June 2005 09:29 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:16 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2