Sure Rotary Encoder implementation - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2013, 12:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sure Rotary Encoder implementation

I have the TK2050 Sure board (2 x 100, #AA-AB32181) and the rotary encoder plugs right in.

So I did. And it just blasted sound with no control. Had to quickly unplug the amp.

What's going on?

Here's what I can tell you:

1) First, I'm guessing I have to re-set the DIP gain switches on the board. I have them currently set to "medium" gain.

2) The instructions for either the board or the Rotary Encoder are not all that clear.

3) I've read and observed, there's a push function on the knob of the Rotary Encoder. I don't understand what this is for. Can someone explain please?

Thanks everyone,
Mark
Old 2nd March 2013, 02:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I think on those you push the button to enable the dial to control the volume. There was some talk of that on the parts express website q&a section.
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,

So, maybe the sound blasted because I was sort of bypassing the Rotary Encoder (by not pushing in the button)?

I'll have to try it on a set of junky speakers.

Mark
Old 3rd March 2013, 08:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

leave the speakers unplugged and try the push-turn down first. then plug in the speakers......
Old 4th March 2013, 02:01 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default ??????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve99 View Post
leave the speakers unplugged and try the push-turn down first. then plug in the speakers......
I hate to sound dumb, but if I do that (unplug the speakers), how do I know the thing is working properly or blasting again?

Mark
Old 5th March 2013, 01:25 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I was thinking of unhooking the speakers, press the dial then turn it down,plug in a cell or mp3 player and turn that down as well, then attach speakers.

You might also be able to test with a meter (but I think you would need a dummy load)
Old 5th March 2013, 02:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Recurve,

Oh, I see. I didn't get what you were saying before.

Hmmm....well, I may have damaged my rotary encoder. Yesterday I set all dip switches to off, hooked up the encoder, and hooked up junky speakers to the amp. I didn't see my LED on the amp light up as normal. Pushed the button on the encoder. Didn't notice those LED's going on either. And I thought something was starting to smell hot, so I just pulled the plug.

I may try everything again sometime, but for now I'll just use my Nelson Pass B1. It sounds fabulous with the TK-2050!

Mark
Old 6th March 2013, 01:22 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Check the parts express qa for that...I think it only was supported on a few boards.

Hide this!Advertise here!