SMSL SA-S1 low volume noise - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2013, 04:56 AM   #11
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Try connecting the negative of the power supply, the negative of the RCA inputs, and chassis/casing to common EARTH ground (connected to ground on 3-pin wall power). I had a similar hiss that went away after I did this. I think the negative of the audio input is especially susceptible to noise pickup when not properly grounded if not being driven by true balanced input line drivers.
Old 4th June 2013, 02:18 PM   #12
sm2yer is offline sm2yer  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Connected my brand new S.M.S.L SA-S1 amplifier and discovered this problem, exactly as described Question: AnyOne tested the mod with changing C104 as 'ostrichmilkman' described? - Is this infact what's done to the 'factory replaced' unit you received as replacement for your faulty unit?
Old 4th June 2013, 10:29 PM   #13
sm2yer is offline sm2yer  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Replaced C23 - Unit works fine!

Thanks to all, i modified my unit according to posted image from 'ostrichmilkman' with the original tantal capacitors value of 1nF (101T) in mind i tried to get a value as close, but still larger to get the wanted result (= no noise) I'm now @ 4,7nF (472) with good result. No noise and no noticeable negative change to the sound. Pictures @ http://195.84.101.101/~goranl/projects/nad_stereo/SMSL_amp/
Old 5th June 2013, 04:11 AM   #14
rhing is offline rhing  United States
diyAudio Member

Glad you were able to fix the problem. My unit did not have a problem with the Tantalum cap, but with a channel imbalance at low volumes. Rather than request a replacement amp, I asked SMSL for a replacement volume pot, which they promptly sent to me. After installing the replacement pot, both channels are now balanced and the sound quality is quite impressive. I definitely prefer this over my modified Sonic Impact 5065 Gen 2 T-amp and the Arjen Helder TA2020 MkIII T-amp. It's smoother, equally dynamic and the soundstage is more three dimensional. I initially had my doubts about the ERO MKT1813 input caps, but after about 80 hours of playing time, the amp has really opened up and the bright treble has smoothed out, while the bass and midrange have become fuller and better defined.

Hide this!Advertise here!