Have on order car amp PPI P900.4 -> 4x100w 4 ohms w/12v, under $200 new.... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2013, 04:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Have on order car amp PPI P900.4 -> 4x100w 4 ohms w/12v, under $200 new....

So, I've been on the lookout for an amp/battery solution for my portable PA setup, and have struggled with finding an Alpine PDX unit used that I thought was a good value. Came up with this alternative:

PASMAG | PERFORMANCE AUTO AND SOUND - Precision Power P900.4 Amplifier
New PPI amps (Phantom & Black Ice) - DIYMA Car Audio Forum

For about $187, it's just as powerful as an alpine PDX-4.100 or PDX-F4, with a verified 4x100 4 ohms with 12v supply, and 2x350w bridged into 4 ohms. Also have on order a single 12v 35ah SLA battery (~$60), already have a charger. Will be using this with a pair of nominally 8 ohm pa mains to get about 50w or so each, and a single 4ohm sub, crossover by the amp, and passive volume knob. Might also run an analog PEQ, otherwise eq in the music player. Hoping for about 3-4 hour run time.

I thought going this route was easier and more economical than buying amp modules and dealing with a chassis, complex battery or PS setup, crossovers, etc. This does a legit 100wpc RMS off 12v, many amp modules do not.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by turbodawg; 25th February 2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 21st February 2013, 04:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I use the same amplifier in my car. It has plenty of juice, however I had some QC issues with half of the 4 channels dying in the first year (now relegated to sub duty). Be wary. I think I may just be an anomaly judging by the many reviews on DIYMA.
Old 21st February 2013, 05:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy2quiet View Post
I use the same amplifier in my car. It has plenty of juice, however I had some QC issues with half of the 4 channels dying in the first year (now relegated to sub duty). Be wary. I think I may just be an anomaly judging by the many reviews on DIYMA.
Won't PPI warranty it?
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've had one of these sitting here for a few months. Probably won't get it installed until the spring. Bought it used (like new) for $150.

I didn't want to go through the trouble of separating the PCB from the heatsink, but it looks like it might be an IRS2092 or similar design.
Old 23rd February 2013, 01:40 AM   #5
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAnonymous1 View Post
I've had one of these sitting here for a few months. Probably won't get it installed until the spring. Bought it used (like new) for $150.

I didn't want to go through the trouble of separating the PCB from the heatsink, but it looks like it might be an IRS2092 or similar design.
IIRC, these PPI amps (Hertz, Soundstream, and Polk all sell basically the same amp in different coverings; others too, probably) are based on a Phillips chipset.
Old 23rd February 2013, 02:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallas View Post
...Phillips chipset.
You mean a chipamp like TDA89xx?

This amp uses discrete IRFI4212H output devices (2pcs per channel).

EDIT: Ah, ok... I found a reference in a Powerbass manual to this "chipset"...

"These amplifiers use the latest Philips/NXP Class D chipset combined with premium MOSFETSs to provide full range audio signal accuracy."

Anyone have a clue what chipset is used? I can't find any info on Philips/NXP class-d chipsets, only their chipamp stuff.

Last edited by theAnonymous1; 23rd February 2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old 25th February 2013, 01:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You mean a chipamp like TDA89xx?

This amp uses discrete IRFI4212H output devices (2pcs per channel).

EDIT: Ah, ok... I found a reference in a Powerbass manual to this "chipset"...

"These amplifiers use the latest Philips/NXP Class D chipset combined with premium MOSFETSs to provide full range audio signal accuracy."

Anyone have a clue what chipset is used? I can't find any info on Philips/NXP class-d chipsets, only their chipamp stuff.
From looking at their website, I'm guessing the TDF8591TH found here, or a newer version of it?

TDF8591TH :: NXP Semiconductors
Datasheet: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...pg&safe=images

It would be great if someone had more info. PPI's rep claims that they spec the parts and the preamp in particular is their own spec, but it looks like a pretty generic amp that some chinese contractor is offering....not a bad thing really.

Last edited by turbodawg; 25th February 2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 25th February 2013, 07:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
From looking at their website, I'm guessing the TDF8591TH found here, or a newer version of it?
No, that's one of their "chipamp" offerings.

A "chipset" would be a modulator and mosfet driver used to drive external mosfets. Only the mosfets are visible from the top of the PCB... the mystery chispet is on the other side.
Old 25th February 2013, 08:43 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No, that's one of their "chipamp" offerings.

A "chipset" would be a modulator and mosfet driver used to drive external mosfets. Only the mosfets are visible from the top of the PCB... the mystery chispet is on the other side.
Ohhh, interesting....thanks! Maybe I'll pull mine apart and see.

Last edited by turbodawg; 25th February 2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 25th February 2013, 09:10 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Ok, curiosity got the best of me. I took mine apart.

Guess what... I was right the first time! The amp is IRS2092 based with one piece per channel.

Power supply fets are AOT460 if that matters to anyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ppi1.JPG (635.0 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg ppi2.JPG (513.1 KB, 90 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!